West Brom Vs City Pre Match Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBooksbluearmy said:
From now on in to the end of the season every game is a must win game, especially against those teams that are going to be challenging us for the title. However we have got to take each game as it comes. to start with MP has to play his strongest team against all comers, perhaps being a bit more defensive away from home, and trying to play a more counter attacking game away from the Etithad Stadium. We can't afford to drop to many points between now and the end of the season if we want to win the title come May.

Way over-dramatic. Akin to the thread "is the title race over for us" we had pages on just 2 weeks ago -- how dumb does that thread look now?

With the exception of Arsenal (for now), every top team is dropping points left, right and centre. I said a couple of weeks ago that the title may be won with low 80s points (vs. 89pts the past 2 seasons). That's looking more and more likely with every passing week. To get to (say) 83pts, we need 58pts in 25 games. That's an average of 2.3pts/game - pretty much exactly our run rate during the championship season. But we all know that year we had several bad losses. Sunderland, Swansea, Everton to name a few.

So yes, we have to perform at a high level overall from herein out, but every game is definitely not "must win". We can overcome the occasional slip-up and certainly away draws at the other contenders would not be a disaster.

I do think however, we need at least 4pts from this week's away games simply to stop the rot away from home and avoid this becoming a major complex. If we do that and then beat Arsenal at home, then I would have us as firm favourites going into the Xmas period. Especially if Kompany comes through those and looks fighting fit.

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
Marvin said:
Play our best team. Cant afford to rotate, especially after how our "Squad" played against Sunderland and Plzen.

Pantilimon
Zaba
Demichelis
Kompany
Clichy
Nasri
Fernandinho
Yaya
Navas
Aguero
Negredo

1-2 City, tough game But I fancy us to have enough quality for us to win the game
Even ignoring the Bayern game to come, Swans, WBA and Southampton = 3 games in 7 days

I thought Aguero was slightly under par against Swansea

I know its tough mate, but we need to win, I'd rather we played our best XI in the league and rested against Bayern, we are already through.
I'd rest players at Bayern, but I don't think we will. It's too much of a prestigious game. But even forgetting about Bayern, it's still 3 League games in 7 days

I think in naming the teams Pellers needs to consider as far ahead as the Arsenal game, thats 4 games in 13 days and the biggest no lose is Arsenal.

I would be looking similar to below to try to give the right players the rest ready for Arsenal.

SWANSEA WBA SOTON BAYERN ARSENAL
REST 3 3 3 4
1st 4th 7th 10th 14th
PANTS PANTS PANTS HART TBA
ZABA RICHARDS ZABA RICHARDS ZABA
MARTIN MARTIN KOMPS MARTIN KOMPS
JOLO JOLO JOLO BOYATA JOLO
CLICHY KOLAROV CLICHY KOLAROV CLICHY
NAVAS NAVAS MILNER MILNER NAVAS
YAYA YAYA YAYA RODWELL YAYA
FERN MILNER FERN MILNER FERN
NASRI NASRI NASRI SILVA SILVA
AGUERO DZEKO AGUERO GUIDETTI AGUERO
NEVADO NEVADO NEVADO DZEKO NASRI

Way too much chopping and changing there. The team would have no continuity. I don't mind resting a few players against Bayern, but I would play our best team in the league games. We can use our substitutions to give key folks a rest, especially if they have had a tough game. Starting Dzeko in a game of any importance makes no sense. Also, who on earth is Nevado?

Must-win game, simple as that. Lose and we can pretty much say goodbye to the league title. A win would give us that confidence away from home and hopefully be the catalyst for more victories. Fingers crossed and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic for it!

1-0 to us I'll say!

MrE said:
I think in naming the teams Pellers needs to consider as far ahead as the Arsenal game, thats 4 games in 13 days and the biggest no lose is Arsenal.

I would be looking similar to below to try to give the right players the rest ready for Arsenal.

SWANSEA WBA SOTON BAYERN ARSENAL
REST 3 3 3 4
1st 4th 7th 10th 14th
PANTS PANTS PANTS HART TBA
ZABA RICHARDS ZABA RICHARDS ZABA
MARTIN MARTIN KOMPS MARTIN KOMPS
JOLO JOLO JOLO BOYATA JOLO
CLICHY KOLAROV CLICHY KOLAROV CLICHY
NAVAS NAVAS MILNER MILNER NAVAS
YAYA YAYA YAYA RODWELL YAYA
FERN MILNER FERN MILNER FERN
NASRI NASRI NASRI SILVA SILVA
AGUERO DZEKO AGUERO GUIDETTI AGUERO
NEVADO NEVADO NEVADO DZEKO NASRI

What the f... did we sign a new striker Nevado ;)

Marvin said:
Play our best team. Cant afford to rotate, especially after how our "Squad" played against Sunderland and Plzen.

Pantilimon
Zaba
Demichelis
Kompany
Clichy
Nasri
Fernandinho
Yaya
Navas
Aguero
Negredo

1-2 City, tough game But I fancy us to have enough quality for us to win the game
Even ignoring the Bayern game to come, Swans, WBA and Southampton = 3 games in 7 days

I thought Aguero was slightly under par against Swansea

I thought he looked a little tired - lacked his usual sharpness. I'd go Negredo up top to start with 5 across the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.