West Ham (A) - EFL Cup R4 - Post-Match Thread

I had to get back to Oxfordshire, which did involve The Tube across London from where we parked. Dreadful ground to get away from but wasn't overly bothered by the "defeat" - hate losing any game but we were bound to run out of luck in this competition.

I'll never call the Etihad ever again after last night - absolutely horrendous ground to get to/from and appalling view. It won't be at the top of my list of grounds to go back to!

Strange how whenever we lose the same old excuses are rolled out
It was either our reserves or B team that played.
Its only a tin pot competition.
It was their cup final.
Less games to play at the business end of the season.
None of these excuses hold any water.
The team that started last night was packed with established internationals.
It is one of 3 domestic trophys up for grabs each year . Tin pot it is not.
Why would it be their cup final in all seriousness?
4 fucking games more with a squad like we have, shouldn't be any issue at all.
According to some we deliberately tossed off the FA cup last season so we could concentrate on the champions league, that went well too.
We lost because we are so wasteful in front of goal end of story, and that's not likely to improve until we get a proper striker in.
Any team no matter how dominant we are in a game can hang in there because we keep missing.
Needs fucking sorting.

Sorry I don`t believe winning the CC had anything to do with Pep`s team selection.
His team selection was solely giving the second choice players a game for fitness and morale reasons. He didn't want to lose the game but wasn't overly concerned if wee did. The preceding and following game took priority. That's how I felt too because that's the right attitude.

Strange how whenever we lose the same old excuses are rolled out
It was either our reserves or B team that played.
Its only a tin pot competition.
It was their cup final.
Less games to play at the business end of the season.
None of these excuses hold any water.
The team that started last night was packed with established internationals.
It is one of 3 domestic trophys up for grabs each year . Tin pot it is not.
Why would it be their cup final in all seriousness?
4 fucking games more with a squad like we have, shouldn't be any issue at all.
According to some we deliberately tossed off the FA cup last season so we could concentrate on the champions league, that went well too.
We lost because we are so wasteful in front of goal end of story, and that's not likely to improve until we get a proper striker in.
Any team no matter how dominant we are in a game can hang in there because we keep missing.
Needs fucking sorting.
It was our reserves, it's the least important of the four trophies and it can result in fixture congestion. These are facts, not "excuses".

We lost a fucking game we deserved to win. It happens several time every single season to every single team and is nothing that "needs sorting" or any other melodramatic reactionary shite that you are spouting.

Well in that time we've not won the Champions League have we? Yes we made the final last year, but in those prior seasons we kepy getting dumped out far too early.
True but we lost to Spurs, Lyons and Chelsea in the last few years in the Champions league when we could and maybe should have won all of them. We've got through our group stages handily enough. The likes of Steffen and Palmer won't kick a ball for us again until the FA Cup.

We've won the league 3 times in the last 4 seasons and Carabao cup 4 times.
I see no connection with the Carabao Cup being a distraction at the final stages of the Champions league.

I do wonder if our Carabao Cup performance and FA Cup underperformance is linked though.

1 FA Cup in 5 seasons for Pep is not a great return, and we had the CL Quarter, FA Cup Semi, League Cup final and a League game in 10 days last season.

in 17/18 we also lost the FA Cup 5th round the game before the EFL final.

It was our reserves, it's the least important of the four trophies and it can result in fixture congestion. These are facts, not "excuses".

We lost a fucking game we deserved to win. It happens several time every single season to every single team and is nothing that "needs sorting" or any other melodramatic reactionary shite that you are spouting.
So you seriousley believe our finishing is up to scratch?
Reserves would suggest players that rarely play for the first team not what we fielded last night.
You hit the nail on the head when you posted we lost a game we deserved to win.
Why was that?

I do wonder if our Carabao Cup performance and FA Cup underperformance is linked though.

1 FA Cup in 5 seasons for Pep is not a great return, and we had the CL Quarter, FA Cup Semi, League Cup final and a League game in 10 days last season.

in 17/18 we also lost the FA Cup 5th round the game before the EFL final.
When you compete on all four fronts it puts a big demand on the squad and results in fatique, rotation, injuries and the inevitable defeats.

I bet you anything the same people whinging about this result being some sort of disaster are the same one crying and screaming when we lose a derby or FA Cup game because we've rotated the squad because we have 7 games in 3 weeks or whatever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.