West Ham (A) - EFL Cup R4 - Post-Match Thread

Strange how whenever we lose the same old excuses are rolled out
It was either our reserves or B team that played.
Its only a tin pot competition.
It was their cup final.
Less games to play at the business end of the season.
None of these excuses hold any water.
The team that started last night was packed with established internationals.
It is one of 3 domestic trophys up for grabs each year . Tin pot it is not.
Why would it be their cup final in all seriousness?
4 fucking games more with a squad like we have, shouldn't be any issue at all.
According to some we deliberately tossed off the FA cup last season so we could concentrate on the champions league, that went well too.
We lost because we are so wasteful in front of goal end of story, and that's not likely to improve until we get a proper striker in.
Any team no matter how dominant we are in a game can hang in there because we keep missing.
Needs fucking sorting.

Hard to argue with.

I do wonder if our Carabao Cup performance and FA Cup underperformance is linked though.

1 FA Cup in 5 seasons for Pep is not a great return, and we had the CL Quarter, FA Cup Semi, League Cup final and a League game in 10 days last season.

in 17/18 we also lost the FA Cup 5th round the game before the EFL final.

now talk us through the budget :)

So you seriousley believe our finishing is up to scratch?
Reserves would suggest players that rarely play for the first team not what we fielded last night.
You hit the nail on the head when you posted we lost a game we deserved to win.
Why was that?
We are playing with a false 9 system and attacking full backs. That is resulting in us dominating in every game we play, including arguably the three best teams in the world. In some of these games we are missing chances, others we aren't. One thing I can cast iron fucking guarantee you is that if Harry Kane or Liam Delap were stood up front at Anfield or PSG, we wouldn't have played the entire game around their penalty area and had them chasing shadows.

Football is a lot more complicated than you think. You put the emphasis in one area and it exposes a weakness in another. Of course we need a striker in the squad. It is not a revolutionary thing for you to suggest this. But you might just find that when we play with one we would be conceding more goals or creating far fewer chances with one in there.

We need the RIGHT striker, not any old stump, and the way we are playing with the False 9, I'm quite happy to wait for a world class young one who can play the City way, whether it be in January or next summer. Our current system is bamboozling everyone, particularly when we play with the first team and not the reserves.

Pep simply played a starting 11 of which he though could beat West Ham. And we should’ve as in fact we were clearly the better team.
The bonus being a few players that could do with an extra few minutes.

Tbh I think there’s nothing more to it.

We are playing with a false 9 system and attacking full backs. That is resulting in us dominating in every game we play, including arguably the three best teams in the world. In some of these games we are missing chances, others we aren't. One thing I can cast iron fucking guarantee you is that if Harry Kane or Liam Delap were stood up front at Anfield or PSG, we wouldn't have played the entire game around their penalty area and had them chasing shadows.

Football is a lot more complicated than you think. You put the emphasis in one area and it exposes a weakness in another. Of course we need a striker in the squad. It is not a revolutionary thing for you to suggest this. But you might just find that when we play with one we would be conceding more goals or creating far fewer chances with one in there.

We need the RIGHT striker, not any old stump, and the way we are playing with the False 9, I'm quite happy to wait for a world class young one who can play the City way, whether it be in January or next summer. Our current system is bamboozling everyone, particularly when we play with the first team and not the reserves.

Liverpool and PSG were games we didn't win but probably would have, with someone in the team who can reliably convert chances.

Same last night.

Dominating games does not equate to winning games. Putting the ball in the net more than the opposition does.

Our entire team made 4 tackles in 90 minutes.
Modern football. Press and wait patiently for the other team to make the inevitable mistake rather than put in a tackle.
It's why 'less talented' teams are reluctant to play outside their own half and rely on the odd break.
Moyes isn't stupid, he set his team up to minimise risk and played for the odd break. They rode their luck and, thanks largely to our lack of a decent striker, got down to a penalty lottery.
I don't know why anyone would be surprised.
A bit more old fashioned tackling wouldn't have gone amiss last night, just to shake them up.

You can complain, just like I complain at all the other chances that should be put away. We should have had three points at Anfield and we should have gone through last night. Before we know it, we’ll be out the title race despite us dominating games.
I agree with your comment about Anfield and yes we should have gone through last night. Your final comment.....really? You honestly think that? I disagree 100%. Let's try to keep some perspective and balance.

It was an odd watch last night though. The team that was put out have no real excuse for not winning it in 90 mins, but I suppose shit happens. I was more disappointed losing that tie than I thought I would be, even though you sort of know we have to lose in the CC at some point. But my worry is more that KDB doesn't look 100% fit and Sterling seems so low on confidence. You hope this feeling of losing is a kick up the arse that makes them even more determined. Let's be honest there's not been much complacency, as the performances at Chelsea, PSG and Liverpool have shown. Hopefully an off-night blip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.