West Ham (A) Post Match Thread

Slept on it, still feel shite.
Watched Leeds v Villa Friday night....Leeds look like everything we were a few years ago. High tempo, fit, desire, direct incisive passing ......just about everything we’re lacking at the minute

Morivation a massive issue for some of our players now by the looks of it
Didn't watch the Leeds game, but did they face a 10 man defence for most of the game?

I would ove to know Pep’s reasons for constantly playing Mahrez week in week out, he brings nothing to the side. Rodri has been poor, Gundogan seems to have zero energy, always slowing the game down. We have players with pace to burn, Sterling, Bernardo, Foden, yet we aren’t playing to their strengths, everything is so slow and ponderous with a lack of creativity.
While I can agree with the overriding sentiment expressed at the end, it’s interesting to note who you think are gash and who is just not being used correctly!

That said, it’s definitely in vogue to batter Gundo & Rodri week in, week out, but I think some people just don’t understand what they’re supposed to be doing...their job, as determined by Pep!

Personally, I think Rodri and Walker have been our two best players in recent games, and Gundo has, on the whole, played well.

For me, it’s time to play Foden & Torres down the left, with Ake as LB. that allows Walker to get forward on the right and still leave us with a solid 3 at the back.

From there, Bernardo RW with Sterling playing CF for now. Rodri and KDB as CM & RM, respectively.

When Walker is not bombing on, he can play inverted and play RDM with Rodri, to free up the attacking 5.

I think we can beat Sheffield Utd next week without Aguero or Jesus, but for the Dippers we will need Jesus to be back. Pep's updates on our injured players are not the best so not sure when Jesus will be back.

I feel a lot more positive today and have a feeling we will win our next two. I think dippers will play into our hands with none of this retreating into a defensive shape and camping In their box bollocks we have been dealing with lately. Without VVD they will be a lot more frail at the back. I’m watching the highlights from their game from last night right now and they were all over the place defensively first half could have quite easily been 3/4 down. In defence we will be better hopefully with Laporte back and I think we will play our line slightly further back than usual like we did at Anfield a few years back when we should have won if it wasn’t for FFS with the penalty miss.

I think both the Aguero injury and Mahrez poor form will be a blessing in disguise as Pep is often brave against the best sides and I honestly believe he will deploy Foden, Sterling and Torres as a fluid front three which is probably what we all want. He did exactly the same by unexpectedly giving us what we wanted against them when we last played them at home last season although obviously there was less at stake as they had already won the league. With no VVD he will want us to be direct as possible with runs into the box and with that front 3 we can be fluid and he will let the three of them take turns to target their right hand side (Villa did this very well). Because as much as we loathe our left hand side their right hand side is actually worse at defending. Trent may deliver a beautiful ball but defensively he’s woeful and Gomez has been shit for well over a year. Pep will obviously be aware of this.

Kev will be fitter, Laporte back and I think we will see Kev, Rodri and Bernie for his press and previous performances against dippers in midfield which is again what the majority of us want.

I think we will do them.

Why did we not go at West Ham as we usually do. Kevin, Phil and Torres from the start. We didn't need 2 protecting the back four. West Ham didn't open us up at all. Yes it was a good goal they scored but an exceptional one. How many saves did Eddy have to make. We have to be brave. If David had still been with us, he would have played, so why not Foden. We can take teammate West Ham apart if we play without fear. Frustrating.

Sterling, Foden and Torres are our best front 3 in our present circumstances, till whichever of Jesus or Serge is fit to play again. Berny has to play with Kev in midfield as Rod and Gundo, whilst nowhere near as bad as some of us are making out, play at a tempo that is suited to CL games but not quick enough for The Prem this year. So we can only afford to have one of them in the team and the other as sub. Mahrez is so predictable these days, too many passes back, too many cul de sac runs and only the occasional flash of form. Walker, Dias, Laporte and Ake are our me our best back four currently. Cancelo is improving and a good sub for a number of positions. So is Zinch. Fern can still do a job when fit again. Mendy is Mendy. Overall the problem is lack of fitness and energy after no decent pre season. We will get better, we just need to wrap up the CL group as soon as we can and work out where we are for the Prem by the end of next month in this crazy season. There's no magic bullet at this stage unfortunately.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.