West Ham (A) Post Match Thread

To think, we could easily have lost to both Wolves and Leeds in the end also?

Even Arsenal was unconvincing.

The margins of our comfort have completely regressed.

It could be worse, our recruitment team would have us now stuck with Sanchez, Jorginho and Maguire...

Think about that when we digest that the people at the top always know what they are going.
Agree, actually feel we have been unconvincing/poor in every PL game and were for long spells v Porto.

Seems our transfer policy is always chasing replacements a year too late.

Kun’s replacement and Ferny’s should have both been in place this season. Even Pep’s decision making is starting to look behind the reality of where the team is.

Every era comes to an end eventually and we look well behind several major competitors in the PL in terms of dealing with transition.

On the evidence so far it’s going to be a very poor season in comparison with the last decade.

But like all City fans we always hope for the best !

CTID

The most concerning thing for me is that the issues and solutions are pretty clear yet pep is still persisting with the same players/tactics. The only game this season so far where we looked consistent over 90 mins is the Burnley cup game.

Lucky lmao. Okay whatever you say. This game we had chances to score and the players didn’t. Leeds we had chances to score and we didn’t. Idk how you can blame Pep when players have chances but don’t finish? What is he suppose to do there? Please enlighten me
think, given our success in this fixture in previous years, it's a good match to do a side-by-side comparison:

Season17/1818/1919/2020/21
Goals scored4451
Goals conceded1001
Shots1991414
Shots on Target8697
Conversion Rate21.1%44.4%35.7%7.1%
On Targ. Conv Rate50%66.7%55.6%14.3%
Passes876839547737
Touches1,0481,007722915
Successful Tackles2013188
Tackle completion %75656953.3
Interceptions1118139
Dispossessed9121310
Turnover possession1819911

Can see the effect of last season being first game of the season in some respect, but otherwise a clear drop-off in conversion rates, a big drop off in defensive work as well which is unsurprising with Gundogan and Rodri together in midfield, also shows we were lower in giving the ball away, but also probably reflects the fact we're being slower in terms of tempo and not taking as many risks/able to open up the opponent.
To me there is only one stat which matters...
(Call me a dinosaur!)

Ours was the worst. The Bernardo point was a fair way down so you read a bit then, but it's just my opinion, I'm not advising Pep or anyone at the club, or asking you to agree. I didn't actually say get rid of him I said his position needs looking at, along with some others. We need consistency and so far one good season in three isn't that. Let's hope this season his form comes back to the levels we know he can achieve.
I’ve been wanting Bernardo to get a proper run and play his way back into form. To be fair he is getting time, and he’s definitely injected some energy, but isn’t yet having any real impact IMO. I really hope we’ll see the old Bernie soon, although I’m not staking my life on it.

There’s a theory that it’s helping them for their home games, the Everton crowd are notoriously impatient which can put pressure on the players negatively
Maybe that applies to everyone because away wins now seem to be the norm. I think the same is happening in some other countries too.

We are seeing “freak” results every week. Weird.

Its clear to see our recruitment has led us here, replacing quality with average and not bothering to recruit at the right times.
I think Pep will be gone in the summer and potch will be in with a open cheque book
I can't say I'm that bothered either way

west ham should take some credit from yesterday

west ham worked so hard in defending and stopping city and when they scored city had a mountain climb
city are not ticking just yet ? injuries have played a major part. but for me we are missing a david silva type player in these type of games. when phil foden comes on in the 2nd half we looked a different team. he played in the pockets that defenders hate and phil foden must be in the starting 11 from now on

pep must be scratching his head with players picking up injuries every week. city are down to the bare bones both up front and in defence. when you look at who west ham hurt us it was down the left side of the defence
that is the big gap we have in this city team we have right footed players playing on the left side of the defence

but now some good news 2nd half we was showing so promise and phil foden is a star sent to us from above
and pep must take the box we have had him in and but it in the blue recycling bin. because he must start every game from now on. its time for phil foden to take the david silva role and games like yesterday city win because of phil foden

Fans need to readjust. City just can't play at 100% intensity without a pre-season and with so many games.

Fortunately the bar will fall because Liverpool are playing very poorly.
The team and particularly the manager needs to readjust.

Incredibly difficult times for everyone involved, crazy schedule, but it is was it is.

Pep needs to show that he is a great coach, at this moment, he seems stuck in a very deep rut.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.