What are City playing at?

Interesting debate this one and there's a number of sides to it.

The first thing I'd say is don't underestimate the PR team at City. For those who don't know, Vicki Kloss is a very astute operator. She went to Cambridge, was a detective in the Met and then was their PR person. She has a strategy for dealing with the press and that basically recognises that you can't force people to write nice things about you or stop them voicing opinions you don't like.

You can try to explain to the more intelligent journalists what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it and, by and large, that has had some success. Martin Samuel, Ollie Holt, David Conn and one or two others are taking a much more measured line. The idiots you can do nothing with.

Her approach is to have a quiet word with the journalist, then his editor and then, if the story is regarded as legally actionable, get lawyers involved. Her former boss, Paul Tyrrell tried threatening people at the start (I've seen the email he sent to one well known local journalist before they'd even met and it's laughable) and frequently got lawyers involved to crush stories but it wasn't particularly productive and that's one reason we're possible suffering now. There are a few old scores to settle.

Tyrrell had no hesitation about planting stories in the media and even using our own players to slag us off if it suited his agenda. Remember the "Everyone has to bow to Thaksin" story and the infamous Joey Barton (I wouldn't buy a season ticket to watch us) interview? I don't want to go back to those days.

You also have ot appreciate that journalists don't exist to be fair and reasonable, they exist to sell papers and at the moment "Manchester City heading for a fall" is the story that does that. So they write it but one day they are going to be crawling to us on their hands and knees. Revenge, as Don Corleone said, is a dish best tasted cold.

Prestwich_Blue said:

The first thing I'd say is don't underestimate the PR team at City. For those who don't know, Vicki Kloss is a very astute operator. She went to Cambridge, was a detective in the Met and then was their PR person. She has a strategy for dealing with the press and that basically recognises that you can't force people to write nice things about you or stop them voicing opinions you don't like.

You can try to explain to the more intelligent journalists what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it and, by and large, that has had some success. Martin Samuel, Ollie Holt, David Conn and one or two others are taking a much more measured line. The idiots you can do nothing with.

Her approach is to have a quiet word with the journalist, then his editor and then, if the story is regarded as legally actionable, get lawyers involved. Her former boss, Paul Tyrrell tried threatening people at the start (I've seen the email he sent to one well known local journalist before they'd even met and it's laughable) and frequently got lawyers involved to crush stories but it wasn't particularly productive and that's one reason we're possible suffering now. There are a few old scores to settle.

Tyrrell had no hesitation about planting stories in the media and even using our own players to slag us off if it suited his agenda. Remember the "Everyone has to bow to Thaksin" story and the infamous Joey Barton (I wouldn't buy a season ticket to watch us) interview? I don't want to go back to those days.

You also have ot appreciate that journalists don't exist to be fair and reasonable, they exist to sell papers and at the moment "Manchester City heading for a fall" is the story that does that. So they write it but one day they are going to be crawling to us on their hands and knees. Revenge, as Don Corleone said, is a dish best tasted cold.

Agree. Also some good points made by fbloke and OB1.

If we try 'all out war' with the press we will give them exactly what they want. They'll just write 'how petty we are' and 'told you they were bastards' etc. etc.

Keep our dignity, the odd quiet word if necessary and play some decent football. That's how to play this game.

If we can turn out some performances like Arsenal and Chelsea did yesterday, the neutrals will gradually come to admire us. Wont happen overnight but it will happen, then the press will be going against the flow.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Exactly right and succinctly put old bean.

I get the distinct impression that some in the press are being provided with the previously prescribed quantity of braided and twisted fibres needed.

Soulboy said:
Marvin said:
Journalists should be free to write what they want - even if it's rubbish.

Don't see any point in trying to sweet-talk the editors. They write hostile articles because that's what they think their readers want. Football fans are jealous of City's wealth and unlike Chelsea and Co. there's a good chance that there will be more City casualties before we are succesful.

We need to grown thicker skins. And be more supportive of our own club and players even after disappointments

Are you suggesting journalists should be free to write lies about us... and it's okay to do that?

Sorry, but any organisatiuon has a right to defend itself against scurrilous and inaccurate reporting. We shouldn't be any different.

If we just roll over and take it, time and time again, then we help create a culture and public persona that will see us permanently portrayed as the pantomime villains.

I'm sure out owners didn't invest so much money on a project that would be derided and held up for mockery on such a regular basis. This has been going on now for two years.

We simply have to respond, i just fear we do not have the capabilities within the club to do that at the moment.

If its a downright lie and provable as such then we bite back. AKA the watches article. I forget what rag it was but they claimed all the players had been given £20,000 watch by the owner which was untrue and the rag involved had to print a public apology. There's a huge difference between a journo printing and opinion and a untruth.

Some posters are seriously missing the point.

Whatever your stance on tabloids, they are the biggest selling newspapers in this country.

They are the lifeblood in terms of the demographic football is supposed to share with.

People are talking shit by saying preferential briefings to broadsheets will make any difference whatsoever.

The pressure is directly applied on the field, to the players and our supporters from what is written.

Sky are also tabloid in format, if you tell the majority something for long enough, they tend to take it as gospel.

It counts for very little someone saying well don't read it or watch it.

Because for everyone of you, there are 15m people being spoon fed this agenda.

Our PR department are laughed at.

Rag friend tells me that any journo's asking awkward questions or taking the piss at slur Alecsh's press conferences are subsequently denied entry to future press conferences

this would be a good start. stay on side or get sidelined

simples

Royaloak said:
This aside, to compare City to the Nazi's and their Blitzkrieg tactics is just unbelievable.

Actually, this jour no clearly doesn't know his history - the Nazi's Blitzkrieg tactics were hugely successful.

-- Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 am --

This aside, to compare City to the Nazi's and their Blitzkrieg tactics is just unbelievable.

Actually, this jour no clearly doesn't know his history - the Nazi's Blitzkrieg tactics were hugely successful.

I agree, the Germans took France within 40 days, maybe we can take the premiership within 40 games? ;)

I'm with Tolmie on this one, "they" are making everyone hate us, even when we do finally win a trophy it will just switch to "ruining football because we bought the titles".

It is premeditated and distinctly boring but certainly working, the amount of fans of other clubs that I come in to contact with who start regurgitating these shite facts/stories is astounding.

Bored to death of having to explain that the stories are shite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.