What are the owners/board thinking???

Optimus Prime said:
The way I see it, we'd be ripe for a financial shafting both on the fee and the wages with so little time left, and we still have far too many overpaid players to come back in the summer. The days of free spending are over, and we have to adopt a more considered approach to the way we do business from hereon in.

The financial shafting we would face if we weren't to finish in the top 4 this season would be even worse.

I see totally what you're saying and I'm not advocating a panic buy. All I'm advocating is maybe bringing forward one of our summer targets - to help increase the chances of finishing in a CL place.

The thing which I think is not being given enough respect, is the quality in the Chelsea and Spurs teams. They are both more than capable of getting as many results as us, and therefore as capable as us of finishing in the top 4.

fbloke said:
blueinsa said:
A fair and reasoned post fb but i will argue that as a club, we are not in any position to tell a player of Torres stature and abilty to "fuck off, you have had your chance" yet and if this is true, whoever has made that decision needs to give their heads a fucking wobble. That is of course if we were ever in a position to be offered the lad?

Whilst i agree that panic buying is not the ideal, football is a fluid game and injuries and suspensions do occur and seasons and goals set can and will be decided by such things. That in mind and given the fact we do need cover, even Bobby knows this any budgets or worries should be put to one side and everything done to get the players in and make sure that the season is not de-railed.

I was paraphrasing the message sent to Torres ;-)

But Torres is a case in point. How long do you wait for a player, and how long do other things remain in doubt before a decision has to be taken?

Torres is a fantastic player but that would be putting a lot of eggs in one basket, at least financially.

Getting in Dzeko has offered other things, at less cost, and so it was a decision the manager has taken about squad development not about a glamour purchase.

I personally am heartened by that stance.

Now we need to trust that the manager can deliver and barring a few teething troubles (yes I know we have been awful at times) we are going in the right direction.

On the spin of that Mancini is aware of what will happen if he doesn't deliver so it's on his head not ours.

If he's confident that he can do the job with what we've got then we have to roll with it.........................

It appears you're right, Danamy.

I think AJ's injury changed things and I really would like to see a rabbit out of the hat today.

BillyShears said:
Who exactly are you calling spoiled brat? I'm delighted you're happy with the squad. Plenty of people aren't. Calling them spoiled brats shows your own myopia...

BTW - lets see if any MODS step in and tell the snipers to STFU and move on...

Our front three is Tevez, Silva and Dzeko. To buy a player that will genuinely compete for a starting spot will cost about £50m, I'd reckon. What we need is a wee bit of depth, so I'm happy enough with the proposed addition of Larsson.

BillyShears said:
Optimus Prime said:
The way I see it, we'd be ripe for a financial shafting both on the fee and the wages with so little time left, and we still have far too many overpaid players to come back in the summer. The days of free spending are over, and we have to adopt a more considered approach to the way we do business from hereon in.

The financial shafting we would face if we weren't to finish in the top 4 this season would be even worse.

I see totally what you're saying and I'm not advocating a panic buy. All I'm advocating is maybe bringing forward one of our summer targets - to help increase the chances of finishing in a CL place.

The thing which I think is not being given enough respect, is the quality in the Chelsea and Spurs teams. They are both more than capable of getting as many results as us, and therefore as capable as us of finishing in the top 4.

Yep - it would be great to see us bring someone else in, don't get me wrong, but I can understand the reticence of the board to do so - which was the point of the thread, after all ;)

1st and 2nd are out of our hands, and I can see Chelsea making a concerted push for 3rd - if they bring Torres in, they might well clinch it. If not, they'll have an unhappy Anelka on their hands - and we all know what a pain in the arse that can be.

Spurs I'm not convinced by - they are essentially a more sophisticated version of the Keegan principle, which is entertaining to watch, but I'm not sure how successful it cab really be in the long run.

Optimus Prime said:
[1st and 2nd are out of our hands, and I can see Chelsea making a concerted push for 3rd - if they bring Torres in, they might well clinch it. If not, they'll have an unhappy Anelka on their hands - and we all know what a pain in the arse that can be.

Spurs I'm not convinced by - they are essentially a more sophisticated version of the Keegan principle, which is entertaining to watch, but I'm not sure how successful it cab really be in the long run.

I don't like that thinking, though, OP...that a fight with Spurs for 4th is all we should expect.

I think we should be aiming higher.

And As Liverpool have just agreed a £35m fee for Andy Carroll it proves we are well and truly better off not getting involved in that sort of business!

That is madness, pure and simple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.