What are the owners/board thinking???

Didsbury Dave said:
Optimus Prime said:
[1st and 2nd are out of our hands, and I can see Chelsea making a concerted push for 3rd - if they bring Torres in, they might well clinch it. If not, they'll have an unhappy Anelka on their hands - and we all know what a pain in the arse that can be.

Spurs I'm not convinced by - they are essentially a more sophisticated version of the Keegan principle, which is entertaining to watch, but I'm not sure how successful it cab really be in the long run.

I don't like that thinking, though, OP...that a fight with Spurs for 4th is all we should expect.

I think we should be aiming higher.

Rammy had it spot on in the transfer forum Dave.

1st Jan had us sat in 2nd. We had shown the footballing world that we had arrived and that we meant business and we all thought that surely, players now would realise that we were the real deal and that as a club, we would push on and just strengthen the weak points in our squad. They have been discussed for months and i think we are all in agreement that we are short of genuine width with pace.

The fact that hasn't happened is the real puzzler and from a footballing point of view, as a squad, we will go into the second half of what will be possibly the most important season for us ever from a financial/business point of view re CL qualification next season for me is simply baffling.

As Danamy said, Bobby knows the score...

I suppose it boils down to this -

Too many mental deals are being done, but City aren't involved. So we then question what the owner/board and manager are thinking?

If the deal is actually £35m for Carroll then we should be saying thank god the owner/board and manager are thinking clearly!

;-)

Didsbury Dave said:
Optimus Prime said:
[1st and 2nd are out of our hands, and I can see Chelsea making a concerted push for 3rd - if they bring Torres in, they might well clinch it. If not, they'll have an unhappy Anelka on their hands - and we all know what a pain in the arse that can be.

Spurs I'm not convinced by - they are essentially a more sophisticated version of the Keegan principle, which is entertaining to watch, but I'm not sure how successful it cab really be in the long run.

I don't like that thinking, though, OP...that a fight with Spurs for 4th is all we should expect.

Sorry if that's the impression you got mate, as it it certainly not what I intended - I think we should be going all out for third, which is in our hands, and sholuld be in a position to make the most of any wobbles from Arse and the Rags to get higher if possible.

All I was saying was that 1st and 2nd are essentially out of our hands due to the points and games advantage that both sides have on us. I think Chelsae are a challenger, but I'm not convinced by Spurs. That was the extent of what I was saying in my post.

We should be confident that we can finish in at least third, which would be a fantastic achievement considering how difficult it is to move up 2 places from the previous season when you're up at the top of the League.

fbloke said:
And As Liverpool have just agreed a £35m fee for Andy Carroll it proves we are well and truly better off not getting involved in that sort of business!

That is madness, pure and simple.

Is that right - £35 effin' million?? Jeez!!! That's priceless. I haven't been able to follow it all today.

Strange innit - everyone including 'opeless 'arry (last seen touring Spain with his swag bag I believe) was having a dig at how much we paid for Dzeko at £27m, but, having seen what's gone on since, obviously, they were all just 'avin' a larf.

Optimus Prime said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Sorry if that's the impression you got mate, as it it certainly not what I intended - I think we should be going all out for third, which is in our hands, and sholuld be in a position to make the most of any wobbles from Arse and the Rags to get higher if possible.

All I was saying was that 1st and 2nd are essentially out of our hands due to the points and games advantage that both sides have on us. I think Chelsae are a challenger, but I'm not convinced by Spurs. That was the extent of what I was saying in my post.

We should be confident that we can finish in at least third, which would be a fantastic achievement considering how difficult it is to move up 2 places from the previous season when you're up at the top of the League.

Fair enough mate. Good points made.

WE must win on Weds.

Seeing as we have got to 3rd comfortably, still in with a shout of the title and in the knockout stages without the need to over pay for a playmaking midfielder, or a pacy winger, i think the owners and the manager know what they are doing and thinking {rest removed as irrelevant to the debate}.

citysince88 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
In terms of ability, I'd like him, but he's not the wide player we need in my opinion.

True he's not a natural wide man but he has good pace an cheski seem to willing to loan him out.

To Bolton maybe, to us (a real threat) no chance! And i really dont think he offers us anything, hes a spoilt brat IMO with loads of baggage and nowhere near the ability he personally thinks he has!

Soulboy said:
Miatakes are being made.

They were made last January and it resulted in us failing to qualify for the Champions League. If the Champions League is truly our Holy Grail, then we don't seem prepared to make sure that we are going to make it.

Last season we were crying out for a quality midfielder... we got Vieira... and failed to pip Spurs for the 4th. spot.

This January we are crying out for a wide midfielder, and in spite of being the "richest club in the world" there is a deafening silence from our manager and owners.

Why try to cut our cloth now? Why scrimp at this precise moment when it's all in front of us just waiting to be won?

I didn't understand it last January, and I don't understand it this...

Reasons? Maybe we are still inexperienced at the highest levels in terms of having a back-up plan to fall back on.

Or the owners have run out of money...
Apart from the end bit, great post and fully agree

WNRH said:
Seeing as we have got to 3rd comfortably, still in with a shout of the title and in the knockout stages without the need to over pay for a playmaking midfielder, or a pacy winger, i think the owners and the manager know what they are doing and thinking {rest removed}.

And we have a winner!

{rest removed}

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.