What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Love Michael Connelly with his LA based Cop "Harry Bosch"-series. Preordered new thriller "Dark Sacred Night" to be released on October 30th.

Have read most of his books, not been disappointed by any. Also based in LA, Robert Crais' Elvis Cole is equably as readable, bit more self-mocking than the Harry Bosch character, which I find appealing.
On a different note altogether, in past discussions of literary merit (or other-wise ) personal preferences are uppermost , inevitably so, really and misconceptions hard to shift. My personal enjoyment of sardonic and insightful prose, laced with wildly improbable characters and situations is epitomised in Terry Pratchett's Disc World novels. The cover art no doubt puts many off, which imo is a real shame, some of his analogies to today's world are bitingly accurate, his descriptive skills are in the Mervyn Peake class, on top of that he makes me laugh out loud. Such a shame there wont be any more.....

@bellbuzzer
Also quite like Johnathan Kellerman and his Alex Delaware series, LA based too.
Enjoyed reading David Hosp's "Scott Finn"-series, based in Boston
Undecided about Chris Carter's "Robert Hunter"-splatter-series (LA again)

Just finished John Grisham's "The Rooster Bar". Quite enjoyed it, though Grisham tends to repeat the same story over end over again: Young unexperienced lawyer takes on the big boys with their big bucks and endless suply of lawers (bank, insurance companies, Mafia etc.), gets millions of dollars, hides the them in an offshore tax haven and runs for his life. Add some FBI here and some love story there to choose from and you can cover the story of at least 10 of his books.

Reading English books, I sometimes struggle with my understanding of English words and idioms, so I might miss out on hidden or deeper meaning, let alone intertextuality or reference to similar situations. Still, I enjoy reading the original books a lot more than their German translation.

Will give Robert Crais and Terry Pratchett a try, thanks.

daughter bought me the book 'Desert Sniper' today for my birthday its written by a brit fighting ISIS with the YPG in syria.

"Nemesis" - Max Hastings - about the defeat of Japan in WW2.

Now half way through "The Crossing" - Cormac McCarthy. Up to his usual high standard.

The Bodies Man, by David McCue (an ex Manchester teacher)
It's a journal of incidents in the first 40 years of his life, majoring on his job as a police officer in a few Southern African countries, where he dealt with many murders, hence the book's title.
An excellent read, in parts.

Last edited:
Just seen that my favourites ever fantasy series is being made into TV. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist is one of the best fantasy series there has been and just been announced its being made into a series starting with Magician. If people like fantasy I highly recommend these books.
Won't watch it tbh, love Feist but the books won't work on the screen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.