What book are you reading now / or recommend?

mackenzie said:
A Fine Day for a Hanging; the real Ruth Ellis Story.

Read books before on this subject but this is the best by far.

Just finished this myself,excellent<br /><br />-- Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:00 pm --<br /><br />
chabal said:
Davs 19 said:
chabal said:
The Passage - Justin Cronin 10/10

I rarely read fiction and I rarely reread a work of fiction but this is brilliant.

I loved it. Sadly the second part of the trilogy is one of the poorest books I've read :(

Compared to the first book it was a big disappointment.

Thought it was quite good myself,anyone know when the 3rd is expected ?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Bilston Blue said:
Currently reading David Foster Wallace's "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men". It contains my favourite short story of all time, "The Depressed Person", which is both funny and truly sad at the same time.

Anyone who has a love of language and how precise it can be should give this feller a read. He can be a bit like marmite though, either love his stuff or hate it.

Great shout.
An incredibly gifted and intense writer who succumbed to his awful affliction far too soon.
Infinite Jest is a wonderful novel.

I've not yet read any of Wallace's novels, only shorts. If you haven't already done so, read his novella "Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way". But before you do, read John Barth's short story, "Lost in the Funhouse". "Westward..." is almost but not quite fanfic; certainly not a sequel but its roots lie in Barth's story.

Cool to find a Wallace aficionado on BM.

jimmy blue shoes said:
Just finished "The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3)" by Peter V.Brett.

Just started "Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, Volume 1)" by Paul Kearney.

Yeah i know, I'm a swords and sorcery geek. Get over it!

Good choices.
Paul Kearney is a good writer.Daylight war a slight disappointment for me,but still ok.
I have just started The fell sword by Miles Cameron.
Also downloaded The great king by the same author (Christian Cameron is his real name)

lust overlord said:
jimmy blue shoes said:
Just finished "The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3)" by Peter V.Brett.

Just started "Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, Volume 1)" by Paul Kearney.

Yeah i know, I'm a swords and sorcery geek. Get over it!

Good choices.
Paul Kearney is a good writer.Daylight war a slight disappointment for me,but still ok.
I have just started The fell sword by Miles Cameron.
Also downloaded The great king by the same author (Christian Cameron is his real name)

Let me know how you get on with the Cameron books and if he's any good I'll give them a try.

Also recently finished Brandon Sandersons "The Way of Kings" The Stormlight Archive book 1. Really enjoyed it.

BillyBonds said:
'Half man, half bike'. About the great Eddie Merckx and a must for any cycling fan.

I might give this a go, BB. I'm very dubious about 'sports personality' books but was fascinated with Fallen Angel - Fausto Coppi. Great read.

Currently ploughing (operative word) through God of Small Things. No, it's not a treatise on the average size of a Rag todger. 'Sbout some Indians. From India. Heavy going!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
BillyBonds said:
'Half man, half bike'. About the great Eddie Merckx and a must for any cycling fan.

I might give this a go, BB. I'm very dubious about 'sports personality' books but was fascinated with Fallen Angel - Fausto Coppi. Great read.

Currently ploughing (operative word) through God of Small Things. No, it's not a treatise on the average size of a Rag todger. 'Sbout some Indians. From India. Heavy going!

Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
A fascinating study of a great climber's fall from grace and tragic denouement.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
BillyBonds said:

Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
A fascinating study of a great climber's fall from grace and tragic denouement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.