What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Consider Phlebas, an epic space opera is the closest that I can really put it to without giving away anything. So far it is pretty decent.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
BillyBonds said:
'Half man, half bike'. About the great Eddie Merckx and a must for any cycling fan.

I might give this a go, BB. I'm very dubious about 'sports personality' books but was fascinated with Fallen Angel - Fausto Coppi. Great read.
Trust me, it's excellent. Reveals how really great he was without being weighed down with uneccessary facts and figures. Good anecdotes and quotes. Robert Millar was my idol and 'Finding Robert Millar' is another superb book. 'Sky's the Limit' is a fascinating insight into the inside of the Sky team workings.

Currently ploughing (operative word) through God of Small Things. No, it's not a treatise on the average size of a Rag todger. 'Sbout some Indians. From India. Heavy going!

Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
A fascinating study of a great climber's fall from grace and tragic denouement.
I agree, but I did get a bit weighed down with the 'medical' side bit.

chabal said:
madcitehfan said:
Didn't know there was a book thread. :)

Last year I read:
Child 44
Eon
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Halo: Fall of Reach
Zombie Apocalypse

Now currently reading through the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Child 44 is a great book. The follow up was bobbins.

I bought the 2 follow up books but I haven't read them yet. Child 44 was very good.

BillyBonds said:
'Half man, half bike'. About the great Eddie Merckx and a must for any cycling fan.

I might give this a go, BB. I'm very dubious about 'sports personality' books but was fascinated with Fallen Angel - Fausto Coppi. Great read.

Currently ploughing (operative word) through God of Small Things. No, it's not a treatise on the average size of a Rag todger. 'Sbout some Indians. From India. Heavy going!

Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
"put me back on me bike" - were these really Tommy Simpson's last words?

George Hannah said:

'Put Me Back On My Bike' were indeed Tom's last words, according to his soigneur and the race doctor - it is also the title of William Fotheringham's fabulous biography of him, which along with 'Rough Ride' by Paul Kimmage are two of the best cycling books ever written, in my opinion.
Amazing as it seems nowadays, I actually cycled up Mont Ventoux in a different lifetime when I was much younger and fitter, and it was horrendous.
How tour riders take in this climb and four other hors categorie mountains as just another stage of the tour is beyond me.
Professional cyclists are a breed apart in terms of stamina and cardiovascular fitness.

George Hannah said:

'Put Me Back On My Bike' were indeed Tom's last words, according to his soigneur and the race doctor - it is also the title of William Fotheringham's fabulous biography of him, which along with 'Rough Ride' by Paul Kimmage are two of the best cycling books ever written, in my opinion.
Amazing as it seems nowadays, I actually cycled up Mont Ventoux in a different lifetime when I was much younger and fitter, and it was horrendous.
How tour riders take in this climb and four other hors categorie mountains as just another stage of the tour is beyond me.
Professional cyclists are a breed apart in terms of stamina and cardiovascular fitness.

fetlocks_zpsd9c88fbd.jpg

pedalling up this - bloody hell Nijinsky no wonder your fetlocks are so prominent

BillyBonds said:

On the cycling theme, 'Slaying the Badger' is a good read. Its about Greg Lamond and Hinaults 86 tour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.