What book are you reading now / or recommend?

willipp said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I might give this a go, BB. I'm very dubious about 'sports personality' books but was fascinated with Fallen Angel - Fausto Coppi. Great read.

Currently ploughing (operative word) through God of Small Things. No, it's not a treatise on the average size of a Rag todger. 'Sbout some Indians. From India. Heavy going!

Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
A fascinating study of a great climber's fall from grace and tragic denouement.

On the cycling theme, 'Slaying the Badger' is a good read. Its about Greg Lamond and Hinaults 86 tour.

Read Fignon's book too. Very interesting and particularly enlightening about his defeat to Lemond on that TT into Paris.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
willipp said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Another great cycling book is 'The Death Of Marco Pantani - A Biography' by Matt Rendell.
A fascinating study of a great climber's fall from grace and tragic denouement.

On the cycling theme, 'Slaying the Badger' is a good read. Its about Greg Lamond and Hinaults 86 tour.

Read Fignon's book too. Very interesting and particularly enlightening about his defeat to Lemond on that TT into Paris.

I know there is a lot of tradition in the tour which adds to the mystery and prestige of it, but those last stage TT's used to be so exciting. I think my first memory of the tour was watching Stephen Roach win it, absolutely incredible and then Lamond winning it in similar style.

The Blue Knight said:
I'm on Book 4 of the Wheel of Time series. My friend recommended it to me as 'the most rewarding series he's ever read'.

It's good, but fuck me it takes a lifetime for anything to happen.

I read 'The Lies of Lock Lamora' by Scott Lynch and it's absolutely brilliant if you like the humor and moral bankruptcy of the characters in Game of Thrones, then I highly recommend it.

Agreed, great series though. Some books are better than others, i suppose that is down to Character preference and the fact that some of the books are 'set up' books for the rest of the story. I wish they had picked up this rather than GoT for a TV series. Have read the whole series twice but have not yet read the final book which i think is now out. I kind of need to start at the start again in order to be up to speed when the final one does come out.

The upside of irrationality by Dan Ariely.
His stuff is very good for anyone who enjoys social sciences.

jimmy blue shoes said:
lust overlord said:
jimmy blue shoes said:
Just finished "The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3)" by Peter V.Brett.

Just started "Hawkwood and the Kings o(Monarchies of God, Volume 1)" by Paul Kearney.

Yeah i know, I'm a swords and sorcery geek. Get over it!

Good choices.
Paul Kearney is a good writer.Daylight war a slight disappointment for me,but still ok.
I have just started The fell sword by Miles Cameron.
Also downloaded The great king by the same author (Christian Cameron is his real name)

Let me know how you get on with the Cameron books and if he's any good I'll give them a try.

Also recently finished Brandon Sandersons "The Way of Kings" The Stormlight Archive book 1. Really enjoyed it.

The Way of Kings is great,next one of the series out in March.
I've read lots of Chris Cameron's stuff already,I haven't read anything bad by him yet,it's historical fiction,mainly based on ancient Greece.
Action packed,highly recommended.A Kiiller of men,is the 1st of a series based before the battle of Thermopylae.
He changed his name slightly to dip into fantasy,
1st of the series is The Red Knight,it's also very good.
The 2nd one I have just started.

bluegirl74 said:
stonerblue said:
I'm half way through 'Two Brothers' by Ben Elton.

Set in Germany during the rise of the nazis, it has few of the laughs normally found in his excellent work. In fact it's a chilling insight into what life was like for Jewish citizens at the start of hitlers twisted persecution of them.

how are you finding this? clearing out my attic ahead of moving house and found most of ben elton's books but not read this one. have been meaning too. obviously don't expect it to be hilarious but love his style.

Different to all his other stuff but no less readable. Same nice easy writing style and great sub=plots.. Not too maudlin given the setting but the reader ends up feeling for the characters.
Much more entertaining than clearing out the attic.

Just finished The gods of guilt - Michael Connelly and Light of the world - James Lee Burke. Both very good reads.

Behind the Locked Door by Graeme Thomson. Biography of George Harrison's life. Good read if you're an old fart and fan of George's like me. Didn't know most of the tracks for his monumental 1970 debut solo album All Things Must Pass were songs written in the period 1966 to 1970 but not included on Beatles albums. The Concert for Bangladesh organised by George in 1971 was ground breaking and was the forerunner for Live Aid in 1985 and all subsequent charity rock concerts. Good read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.