What book are you reading now / or recommend?

blue underpants said:
Devils Guard by George R Elford
The French Foreign Legion in Vietnam in the late 1940s and early 50s, many units were made up of German SS and the dregs of every army after WW2, a brutal encounter

Read this book back in the 80's and blew my head off. However years later when you want to find it again and read all thats be said about it how much is fact or fiction. Still a great read though.

big gaz said:
blue underpants said:
Devils Guard by George R Elford
The French Foreign Legion in Vietnam in the late 1940s and early 50s, many units were made up of German SS and the dregs of every army after WW2, a brutal encounter

Read this book back in the 80's and blew my head off. However years later when you want to find it again and read all thats be said about it how much is fact or fiction. Still a great read though.
Yep read all about the controversy over this book a long time ago, many ex Legionaires since have said it's a well known fact within the Legion that they recruited many Waffen SS and other German, Italian, Croat and Serb wanted men after WW2 as they knew it was going to fight a very dirty and messy war in the jungles of Vietnam and needed a constant supply of battle hardened soldiers to fight it
The Legion has tried to cover up what went on ever since, the French military even deny that they recruited in Axis P.O.W. camps when clearly they did

Recently read the new George Harrison bio. Was by far and away the 'nicest' of The Beatles when he was young, and also the wittiest.
Turned into a grumpy old man by the time he hit 35 though.
He was a very interesting man, all told

The Green Stick by Malcolm Muggeridge.

It's fascinating. It gives an insight into the politics of the 20th century, plus it has an interesting bit about Manchester too.

Whatever happened to Billy Parks by Gareth Roberts.

Recommended by Lucky Toma and it's a novel about Alcoholism and Football in the 1970's. Very predictable but enjoyable never the less.

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management-by Roger Lowenstein
Interesting book about Mathematics genius who opened their own company and were bankrupt during financial crisis.

Just finished "The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith. Like the Cormoran Strike character that first appeared in "The Cuckoo Calling"

Galbraith is a pseudonym for JK Rowling!

Currently on "The Forgotten" by David Baldacci. It too is a second book - about a character called John Puller. He is US Army CID and reads pretty much like a Jack Reacher type story. Enjoyable so far.

chabal said:
BimboBob said:
mackenzie said:
A History of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver.

I love this writer; he is passionate about history and really takes you to a different place.

This is a great read.

Agree with this. It's a very good book.

I said this on the previous page you bastards.

It makes me want to dig things up.
The man's a charlatan.

Reading a book that stony recommended.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.