What book are you reading now / or recommend?

The Living Landscape - Patrick Whitefield

It's about reading landscapes using topography. Sounds dull, but it's changing the way I look at the world and teaching me a lot about how our natural surroundings were made.

Malcontent said:
Half way through Richer than God - good so far.

Can recommend Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith - the best I've read for a while. KGB thriller set in 1950s.

Child 44 is brilliant - just a pity that the follow up was so poor.

Just finished Michael Connelly's 'Chasing the Dime'...decent page turner but not as good as his Harry Bosch series...which i'm working my way through and thoroughly enjoying.

DruntBlunt said:
Canon EOS 5D Mk III user manual :grin:

One in a million........ ie someone who actually reads the manual!<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm --<br /><br />Read The Secret Footballer yesterday. Decent.

johnny on the spot said:
The Living Landscape - Patrick Whitefield

It's about reading landscapes using topography. Sounds dull, but it's changing the way I look at the world and teaching me a lot about how our natural surroundings were made.

I'm going to see if they have that at the library tomorrow.
I love stuff like that.

Barrow's Boys: A Stirring Story of Daring, Fortitude, and Outright Lunacy

Fergus Fleming

I've had it quite a while, but am now reading it!

Barrow's Boys is a spellbinding account of perilous journeys to uncharted areas under the most challenging conditions. Fergus Fleming captures the passion for exploration that led a band of men into situations that would humble today's bravest adventurers.

After the Napoleonic wars, John Barrow, Second Secretary to the Admiralty, launched the most ambitious exploration program the world has ever seen. For the next thirty years, his teams of elite naval officers went on missions to fill the blanks that littered the atlases of the day. From the first disastrous trip down the Congo, Barrow maintained his resolve in the face of continuous catastrophes. His explorers often died of sickness or at the hands of unfriendly natives. They struggled under budgets that forced them to resort to pulling enormous ships across floating ice fields; to eating mice, or their own shoes; and even to horrifying acts of cannibalism. While many of the journeys failed, Barrow and his men ultimately opened Africa to the world, discovered Antarctica, and pried apart the mandibles of the Arctic. Many of the missions are considered the greatest in history, but have never before been collected into one volume that captures the full sweep of Barrow's program.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.