What City player was most over rated by our own fans

schfc6 said:
MCFC BOB said:
schfc6 said:
He was a £1,000.000 waste of time.
DickovGills.ashx

I guess you don't understand football. A £1,000.000 player in 1996 playing in the old third division should have been scoring 35 goals a season not every 170 games.

If he'd done his fucking job, rather than chasing down keepers we'd have won that pub league...

Glad to see you only know of he highlights, I'm guessing you weren't in places like Bournemouth, Colchester watching this clown run around, waste engery and time then piss away 6 good chances a match.

I notice you highlight the play off final, care to explain away the chances he missed in the game? His awful penalty that could have cost us?

Face it, he was toss, we'd all agree if he hadn't scored that goal!!
Are you on a wind up here? He was influential during the promotion seasons. His hard work and determination typified that of the whole team. Dickov would fight for every ball and put the defenders under constant pressure which would lead to us creating chances and Goater was the one who generally finished things off. To say he will only be remembered for that goal is wrong. He scored a screamer at Darlington in the cup to save us from defeat, he scored the equaliser in the play off semi final at Wigan and helped us turn the match around at ewood the following season by scoring and forcing Daley in to the mistake that led to the own goal. After the Blackburn match you can see him singing bluemoon with passion and his children have since been raised to be city fans and were in the junior blues. Paul Dickov is a city legend. Without Dickov we wouldn't be where we are today. To call him a million pound waste of space is completely out of order.

Billy Spurdle said:
Chippy_boy said:
ayeGibson said:
Superman
Brannan
Mcmanaman
Barton (and a c$*# too, ill never forget the cigar)
Robinho

:p

Mcmanaman was NOT overrated. Everyone thought he was utter shite, which of course, he was.

I will nominate one Paul Dickov. Useless player, apart from that goal obviously.

If you think that about Paul Dickov then you've obviously been watching football for about 5 minutes. Useless?!?! You are clueless that's for sure.

Well I started going in 1967 so perhaps that's not long compared to some.

schfc6 said:
MCFC BOB said:
schfc6 said:
He was a £1,000.000 waste of time.
DickovGills.ashx

I guess you don't understand football. A £1,000.000 player in 1996 playing in the old third division should have been scoring 35 goals a season not every 170 games.

If he'd done his fucking job, rather than chasing down keepers we'd have won that pub league...

Glad to see you only know of he highlights, I'm guessing you weren't in places like Bournemouth, Colchester watching this clown run around, waste engery and time then piss away 6 good chances a match.

I notice you highlight the play off final, care to explain away the chances he missed in the game? His awful penalty that could have cost us?

-- Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm --

davymcfc said:
schfc6 said:
Ah yes, the old if you think Dickov is 'useless' you are a glory fan or you are clueless....

I have watched Dickov many many times, home, away and on the TV.

I have played football to a good standard, did so for 15 years, and I am happy to state thatbDickov was indeed 'useless'.

Not only do his career statistics prove this, his illustrious journey man career leave little left to be argued.

He was piss poor, granted he tried hard, every footballer puts in all they can, they just do it in different ways!

My everlasting memory of Dickov will be him aimlessly charging down the keeper, with the keeper having already launched the ball 70 yards up field. Oh and George Boateng throwing his boot on the roof!

Anyone who thinks Dickov was anything other than 1 goal & charging around is clearly hard of learning or sight or reality.

He was a £1,000.000 waste of time. His stats, his career his footballing achievements are testimony to this!
Absolute bollocks. Your entire post is complete bollocks.

Intelligent response... Thanks for that. I have put forward his statistics for his entire career, hell I even highlighted his entire career.

I mean, yes what bollocks, who can argue with a career like this?

1990–1996 Arsenal 22 (4)
1993 → Luton Town (loan) 15 (1)
1994 → Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 8 (5)
1996–2002 Manchester City 158 (35)
2002–2004 Leicester City 89 (32)
2004–2006 Blackburn Rovers 50 (14)
2006–2008 Manchester City 16 (0)
2007 → Crystal Palace (loan) 9 (0)
2008 → Blackpool (loan) 11 (6)
2008–2010 Leicester City 21 (2)
2009 → Derby County (loan) 16 (2)
2010 Leeds United 4 (0)
2010–2011 Oldham Athletic 2 (0)
Dickov scored one of the most important goals in the clubs history but he was a lower division player. Lots of effort but fundamentally flawed: he couldn't strike a ball. He had no backlift, which makes his miracle goal all the more incredible.

davymcfc said:
schfc6 said:
MCFC BOB said:

Are you on a wind up here? He was influential during the promotion seasons. His hard work and determination typified that of the whole team. Dickov would fight for every ball and put the defenders under constant pressure which would lead to us creating chances and Goater was the one who generally finished things off. To say he will only be remembered for that goal is wrong. He scored a screamer at Darlington in the cup to save us from defeat, he scored the equaliser in the play off semi final at Wigan and helped us turn the match around at ewood the following season by scoring and forcing Daley in to the mistake that led to the own goal. After the Blackburn match you can see him singing bluemoon with passion and his children have since been raised to be city fans and were in the junior blues. Paul Dickov is a city legend. Without Dickov we wouldn't be where we are today. To call him a million pound waste of space is completely out of order.

Oh I see what you are saying, anyone who tried hard, scored the odd goal is a City legend..

I'm not sure how you can't see the bigger picture, he cost one million pounds in 1996, and essentially he was crap.

That's not just me saying that, his entire career backs up his below average to poor career.

He divides opinion, how do you think other fans rate Dickov? I know fans of Liverpool, United even County that think he stole a living, you think he's a legend. Is that not the very point of the thread?

I personally think he's crap, I didn't enjoy the way he played, he was technically awful and had a God awful hair cut. I didn't rate him, I don't rate him.

If Scott Sinclair scores the goal that wins us the league, I wouldn't remember him as a legend, I'd remember him as what he actually was, average to poor.

If you remember Dickov as a legend then that's good for you, I'll just remember him as a journey man lower division footballer whom City were one of his stops.

The fact you highlight him singing songs, his children supporting City suggest you are making your silly posts based on sentiment not logic!!

*That* goal was deflected. lol.

Legend in my eyes but if the question is how good a player is Dickov, it's obvious that he was limited.

When people say "a team of Dickov's/Milner's would give anyone a run for their money" is of course bollocks because hard work is worth nothing without skill.

Of the current crop I'm afraid to say it has to be Barry. Everyone tells me how good a job he does for us but everytime I see him I think, "FFS Barry, get your slippers off and stop giving the ball away".

Billy Spurdle said:
If you think that about Paul Dickov then you've obviously been watching football for about 5 minutes. Useless?!?! You are clueless that's for sure.
I've been watching City for nearly five decades not five minutes and Dickov, while not entirely "useless" was nowhere near good enough to get the ratings he got.
"That goal" might have saved the club, but as I said earlier in this thread; we wouldn't have been in that division had he been any good during the previous two seasons, and wouldn't have needed the play-offs if he'd been any good against third division defenders.

I think given the passionate responses, Paul Dickov is in with a fair shout as far as the OP's question is concerned.

schfc6 said:
davymcfc said:
schfc6 said:

Oh I see what you are saying, anyone who tried hard, scored the odd goal is a City legend..

I'm not sure how you can't see the bigger picture, he cost one million pounds in 1996, and essentially he was crap.

That's not just me saying that, his entire career backs up his below average to poor career.

He divides opinion, how do you think other fans rate Dickov? I know fans of Liverpool, United even County that think he stole a living, you think he's a legend. Is that not the very point of the thread?

I personally think he's crap, I didn't enjoy the way he played, he was technically awful and had a God awful hair cut. I didn't rate him, I don't rate him.

If Scott Sinclair scores the goal that wins us the league, I wouldn't remember him as a legend, I'd remember him as what he actually was, average to poor.

If you remember Dickov as a legend then that's good for you, I'll just remember him as a journey man lower division footballer whom City were one of his stops.

The fact you highlight him singing songs, his children supporting City suggest you are making your silly posts based on sentiment not logic!!
I highlighted this because there was a mutual love between Dickov and the fans at that point. Dickov was one of a crop of players who clawed city from the third tier back to the premier league. Funnily enough for a lower league journey man he did go on to play his best years at Leicester and Blackburn in the premier league. No one has ever painted an image that he was Lionel messi, he was a very hard working player that gave his all for the club. I think he deserves better than being called a million pound waste of space.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.