What City player was most over rated by our own fans

Stephen Ireland. Voted player of the season in which he was ever present in 23 defeats including Notts Forest and Brighton. What a superman.

davymcfc said:
schfc6 said:
davymcfc said:
Are you on a wind up here? He was influential during the promotion seasons. His hard work and determination typified that of the whole team. Dickov would fight for every ball and put the defenders under constant pressure which would lead to us creating chances and Goater was the one who generally finished things off. To say he will only be remembered for that goal is wrong. He scored a screamer at Darlington in the cup to save us from defeat, he scored the equaliser in the play off semi final at Wigan and helped us turn the match around at ewood the following season by scoring and forcing Daley in to the mistake that led to the own goal. After the Blackburn match you can see him singing bluemoon with passion and his children have since been raised to be city fans and were in the junior blues. Paul Dickov is a city legend. Without Dickov we wouldn't be where we are today. To call him a million pound waste of space is completely out of order.

Oh I see what you are saying, anyone who tried hard, scored the odd goal is a City legend..

I'm not sure how you can't see the bigger picture, he cost one million pounds in 1996, and essentially he was crap.

That's not just me saying that, his entire career backs up his below average to poor career.

He divides opinion, how do you think other fans rate Dickov? I know fans of Liverpool, United even County that think he stole a living, you think he's a legend. Is that not the very point of the thread?

I personally think he's crap, I didn't enjoy the way he played, he was technically awful and had a God awful hair cut. I didn't rate him, I don't rate him.

If Scott Sinclair scores the goal that wins us the league, I wouldn't remember him as a legend, I'd remember him as what he actually was, average to poor.

If you remember Dickov as a legend then that's good for you, I'll just remember him as a journey man lower division footballer whom City were one of his stops.

The fact you highlight him singing songs, his children supporting City suggest you are making your silly posts based on sentiment not logic!!
I highlighted this because there was a mutual love between Dickov and the fans at that point. Dickov was one of a crop of players who clawed city from the third tier back to the premier league. Funnily enough for a lower league journey man he did go on to play his best years at Leicester and Blackburn in the premier league. No one has ever painted an image that he was Lionel messi, he was a very hard working player that gave his all for the club. I think he deserves better than being called a million pound waste of space.

I think perhaps you have lost what this thread is about? i.e. "What City player was most over rated by our own fans?"

I think he was very highly rated, no worshipped, by a large number of our own fans. And yet he wasn't a very good player. Hardworking, committed, a good guy: most definitely. A good footballer? No, not really.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm --<br /><br />
The Goat 10 said:
6one said:
add zabaleta to the list.

M. Johnson
A. Johnson
C. Tevez
G. Kinkladze.
Paul Lake.

Baffled

+1

Probably in the top 5 all time best players to have pulled on a sky blue shirt.

We're not really here said:
I've seen the names of Kinkladze, Lake, Barnes, Kompany, Dunne, Balotelli, Zaba and I'm fucking staggered at how many of our fans are either clueless or utter knobs. I really worry about the sort of supporters we seem to be attracting. It's very, very depressing.

I wouldn't worry about it. They are either wums or not city fans. They're just taking the piss.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm --<br /><br />
The Goat 10 said:
6one said:
add zabaleta to the list.

M. Johnson
A. Johnson
C. Tevez
G. Kinkladze.
Paul Lake.

Baffled

Not really, it's clearly a rag wum. They're not very subtle these days.

Stephen Ireland.

Had ten excellent games in a season where he also had ten average games and ten shit games, while Kompany played well in almost every game and was played out of position, yet Ireland won POTS.

Stephen Ireland. The hype on the OS about his martial arts training and running up and down some stairs really got me thinking the next season is going to be his.

117 M34 said:
ayeGibson said:
Superman
Brannan
Mcmanaman
Barton (and a c$*# too, ill never forget the cigar)
Robinho

:p

Who rated Brannan? He is the worst player I have ever seen play for us

you're probably right! I was getting hope confused with hype ;) cheers chippy, also the same with Mcmanaman. I just remember my hope at the time, that he could turn things around... including his stalling career, alas with both, utterly dismal

Have checked through 20 pages of thread to be sure no-one else has said it, and I'm genuinely not saying this to be disrespectful, or controversial.
Marc Vivien Foe

In hindsight probably Stevie although it's still difficult to know where it all went wrong for him. I think there's much stock in something someone posted recently about Barton, Johnson, and Ireland. At the onset of young kids getting big wages maybe we simply didn't have the right infrastructure to nurture the right mentality. Shame as I've no doubt Stevie has an awful lot of talent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.