What City player was most over rated by our own fans

kippaxchris said:
njmcfc1894 said:
Tbf the Dunne mobile and Distin were main reason the takeover happened,we had 2 very good defendersin a shit squad.
Didn't we offload Distin a while before the takeover? And Dunne got sold and refused a testemonial?
Distinct left for Pompey I recall saying it was going to be a bigger club ........ Well he got that wrong!

citymad said:
We're not really here said:
I've seen the names of Kinkladze, Lake, Barnes, Kompany, Dunne, Balotelli, Zaba and I'm fucking staggered at how many of our fans are either clueless or utter knobs. I really worry about the sort of supporters we seem to be attracting. It's very, very depressing.

I wouldn't worry about it. They are either wums or not city fans. They're just taking the piss.

-- Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm --

The Goat 10 said:
6one said:
add zabaleta to the list.

M. Johnson
A. Johnson
C. Tevez
G. Kinkladze.
Paul Lake.

Baffled

Not really, it's clearly a rag wum. They're not very subtle these days.

I said Gio.
Why am I not a city fan or a wum because I think that lots of city fans thought he was better than he actually was?
He was a good player in a poor team - some people make out that he was one of the best players in the world, he wasn't. Would he get in to our team now? Not even close, but some make out that he was the best player ever to play for us

Do you actually understand what the word overrated means?

davymcfc said:
schfc6 said:
MCFC BOB said:
DickovGills.ashx

I guess you don't understand football. A £1,000.000 player in 1996 playing in the old third division should have been scoring 35 goals a season not every 170 games.

If he'd done his fucking job, rather than chasing down keepers we'd have won that pub league...

Glad to see you only know of he highlights, I'm guessing you weren't in places like Bournemouth, Colchester watching this clown run around, waste engery and time then piss away 6 good chances a match.

I notice you highlight the play off final, care to explain away the chances he missed in the game? His awful penalty that could have cost us?

Face it, he was toss, we'd all agree if he hadn't scored that goal!!
Are you on a wind up here? He was influential during the promotion seasons. His hard work and determination typified that of the whole team. Dickov would fight for every ball and put the defenders under constant pressure which would lead to us creating chances and Goater was the one who generally finished things off. To say he will only be remembered for that goal is wrong. He scored a screamer at Darlington in the cup to save us from defeat, he scored the equaliser in the play off semi final at Wigan and helped us turn the match around at ewood the following season by scoring and forcing Daley in to the mistake that led to the own goal. After the Blackburn match you can see him singing bluemoon with passion and his children have since been raised to be city fans and were in the junior blues. Paul Dickov is a city legend. Without Dickov we wouldn't be where we are today. To call him a million pound waste of space is completely out of order.

There is absolutely no question about it, Paul Dickov is the most overrated player in Manchester City history.

He is not necessarily the absolute worst player we have ever had, although he must be very close considering he was a member of the worst team in the club's history. I'd put his ability on a par with players such as Ged Brannan, Danny Allsop, Wayne Biggins, Gary Megson, Adrian Heath. Off the top of my head the worst players I've ever seen at City.

The difference is, they are all remembered as utter shite, whereas Dickov is revered as some kind of super human colossus who saved the club from certain extinction. Absolute bollocks.

The most cringewirthy post I've ever seen on Bluemoon was when someone was suggesting there should be a statue of Dickov outside the ground. I actually felt a bit sorry for the guy who suggested it. No one ever talks about Dickov's ability, they just talk about his work rate, and that he ran around a lot. Well my dog runs around a lot, but I don't think he deserves a statue outside the ground!

The general Bluemoon consensus is that Little Dicky is a legend, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a "rag" or not a "proper City fan" so I await those predictable responses. However every City fan I know who had season tickets at the time of him playing, and went to the away games all think he was absolute garbage and resented having to pay money to watch him play.

Shaelumstash said:
There is absolutely no question about it, Paul Dickov is the most overrated player in Manchester City history.

He is not necessarily the absolute worst player we have ever had, although he must be very close considering he was a member of the worst team in the club's history. I'd put his ability on a par with players such as Ged Brannan, Danny Allsop, Wayne Biggins, Gary Megson, Adrian Heath. Off the top of my head the worst players I've ever seen at City.

The difference is, they are all remembered as utter shite, whereas Dickov is revered as some kind of super human colossus who saved the club from certain extinction. Absolute bollocks.

The most cringewirthy post I've ever seen on Bluemoon was when someone was suggesting there should be a statue of Dickov outside the ground. I actually felt a bit sorry for the guy who suggested it. No one ever talks about Dickov's ability, they just talk about his work rate, and that he ran around a lot. Well my dog runs around a lot, but I don't think he deserves a statue outside the ground!

The general Bluemoon consensus is that Little Dicky is a legend, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a "rag" or not a "proper City fan" so I await those predictable responses. However every City fan I know who had season tickets at the time of him playing, and went to the away games all think he was absolute garbage and resented having to pay money to watch him play.

Not sure I could disagree more if I tried. Nobody ever thought Dickov was anything other than a hard working but overall thoroughly average footballer. However at the time we probably didn't need technically gifted footballers as much as we needed fucking workmen like him who could help us scrap our way out of where we were. Certainly I don't remember anyone at the time being resentful of having to pay to watch him in particular play.

BillyShears said:
Shaelumstash said:

Not sure I could disagree more if I tried. Nobody ever thought Dickov was anything other than a hard working but overall thoroughly average footballer. However at the time we probably didn't need technically gifted footballers as much as we needed fucking workmen like him who could help us scrap our way out of where we were. Certainly I don't remember anyone at the time being resentful of having to pay to watch him in particular play.

You say we needed the "fucking workmen" to help us "scrap our way out of where we were." Have you ever considered that is was the "fucking workmen's" fault that we got there in the first place?!

I can't remember many of the players at that level at the time, but off the top of my head, we could have signed Carl Asaba for £600k (£400k less than Dickov) and he scored nearly double the amount of goals!

Scrapping only gets you so far, and in our case it was that we dropped like a stone to the 3rd division, and struggled to get out of it. We had a team of scrappers when Keegan came in, and he took one look at Dickov and said that he wasn't good enough for the 2nd division and fucked him right off. We went on to play some of the best football I've ever seen at City. Not many "fucking workmen" in that team, but plenty of talent and ability.

Then Pearce came in, re-signed Little Dicky and a load of "fucking workmen" and we nearly got relegated. There's a running theme here.

Shaelumstash said:
BillyShears said:
Shaelumstash said:

You say we needed the "fucking workmen" to help us "scrap our way out of where we were." Have you ever considered that is was the "fucking workmen's" fault that we got there in the first place?!

I can't remember many of the players at that level at the time, but off the top of my head, we could have signed Carl Asaba for £600k (£400k less than Dickov) and he scored nearly double the amount of goals!

Scrapping only gets you so far, and in our case it was that we dropped like a stone to the 3rd division, and struggled to get out of it. We had a team of scrappers when Keegan came in, and he took one look at Dickov and said that he wasn't good enough for the 2nd division and fucked him right off. We went on to play some of the best football I've ever seen at City. Not many "fucking workmen" in that team, but plenty of talent and ability.

Then Pearce came in, re-signed Little Dicky and a load of "fucking workmen" and we nearly got relegated. There's a running theme here.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The salient point of my post was that nobody I knew or went to games with at the time thought Dickov was anything other than bang average as a footballer. Even those who, like me love him to this day for sentimental value, don't consider him anything other than what I just said. Bang average.

Jack74 said:
bluemoon73 said:
Kinkladze, there you go i said it!

Silva
Certainly not his best season last year but to think that Silva is anything other than a top drawer player is a nonsense. I can't wait to see him back to his best this year and with the arrival of some high quality players to take the pressure off him I expect to see the little man hit the highs of the title winning season. If he can add goals to his game he'll be up there with the best players in the world in his position.

BillyShears said:
Shaelumstash said:
BillyShears said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. The salient point of my post was that nobody I knew or went to games with at the time thought Dickov was anything other than bang average as a footballer. Even those who, like me love him to this day for sentimental value, don't consider him anything other than what I just said. Bang average.

Surely Dickov is the correct answer to the Op's post then? Some maybe even a lot of City fans consider him to be a legend, some garbage. If some City fans consider him garbage, imagine what fans of others think?

The question was posed, I feel it's been answered. I've read some frankly bobbins players names, but they were never really rated by anyone, even City fans, so they can't be considered on this thread.

I have read Balotelli, De Jong, Robinho amongst others, hell even Zabaleta. All 4 are established internationals playing Champions League football, so by that very achievment they are rated highly by other fans and other coaches in the game..

To suggest that we over rated players for City that now play for AC Milan and their national sides is just stupid.

Zabba, well he's so over rated that his fellow pro's voted him in the PL team of the season..

Some people really are thick..

schfc6 said:
BillyShears said:
Shaelumstash said:

Surely Dickov is the correct answer to the Op's post then? Some maybe even a lot of City fans consider him to be a legend, some garbage. If some City fans consider him garbage, imagine what fans of others think?

The question was posed, I feel it's been answered. I've read some frankly bobbins players names, but they were never really rated by anyone, even City fans, so they can't be considered on this thread.

I have read Balotelli, De Jong, Robinho amongst others, hell even Zabaleta. All 4 are established internationals playing Champions League football, so by that very achievment they are rated highly by other fans and other coaches in the game..

To suggest that we over rated players for City that now play for AC Milan and their national sides is just stupid.

Zabba, well he's so over rated that his fellow pro's voted him in the PL team of the season..

Some people really are thick..

Quite!
It doesn't matter who they have played for before or after us or what they have won.
Overrated means that people think they are better than they are. The best player in the world can be overrated, as could the worst.

Some people say Messi is the best player ever. I disagree. Even though he is the best player in the world at the moment, he isn't as good as some people think he is so therefore (in my opinion) he is overrated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.