What do you miss about Maine Road?

I miss everything about it , i loved the place .... and even the area too!

Though i was brought up in the sixties practically on the land where COMS now stands , the place appears so soulless now.

I remember the walk from Longsight on matchdays. Across Birchfields Park, out the gate at the corner (where that old tudor-style house was), up Norman Road, across Wilmslow Road, cut through Platt fields, across Platt Lane, turn right into Yew tree Road, walk a couple of hundred yards up past that primary school (St Edward's?), and there she was, rising up in front of me. Across the car park behind the kippax and carry on behind the North Stand onto the wonderful (well, at the time!) souvenir shop. 10 people inside it and it was jam packed!! Those were the days; cue the "Hovis" music!! God knows how many times I done that trip; about a 15 minute walk from our house to the ground.

Got to be walking up the steps to the old kippax, on an evening game, Seeing the pitch lit up by the floodlights, Standing at the same place every week. And of course the atmosphere

Does anyone remember the name of the programme shop on Lloyd st(?) just someones front room in terraced house?

Maine Rd epitomised everything that made me fall in love with city! A dilapidated, traditional, but large working class ground based in a historic working class area. The team seemed to personify the stadium! We'd had our heyday in the late 60s and early 70s, and Maine rd was a stadium that belonged to that era. Funny because I'm only 25 but I started supporting city when we were relegated from the prem really. So I knew the good times but I heard the stories and I guess as a fan I was attracted to the challenge. To support a club wrapped in history but who had fallen from the top. My granddad used to take me to the ground and I just felt such a community vibe. Maine Rd, the team and the fans all seemed interlinked and like one another (if that makes any sense)

However I think it's only apt that we have left it behind, because football has changed from what it was, it's bigger business now and with that you need a state of the art stadium. That's what we've gone. But saying that I just don't feel the connection to COMS that I did with Maine Rd. I'll never forget seeing grown men cry when we left the stadium. But it's time to make more history at COMS. The future is bright and blue my friends.

Ctid

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.