What Happened to Manchester City's Maine Road

The arches that ended up over the main stand are now pig shelters in a field up by chelford car boot ,keep trying to pursude the lad to have one in our garden ,till you get up close and they are massive :+)

I have a few of the seats. They were sold way back when. And I got hold of a few from possibly gumtree. Granted they were not the seats I sat on but it’s good memories. Now I have them in a crate somewhere.

Back of the net

b8d57b3bbb76676f858f73f1db2b0eaf.jpg

88fe38bef138255f11b896a544e6c15d.jpg

98d855748142c83b96407e8138739701.jpg

And here are the teams

d1fb136c0fbe5db435fab06dbeff83b3.jpg
Thats amazing, I remember Peter Barnes & Gary Owen going to west brom but I had no idea Steve Mackenzie went there as well?

I recall that when Lee took over he tried to have the stand redesigned but had insufficient time. The old Kippax was demolished in 1994 at the end of the season, the same year that Lee became chairman. The new stand was opened in stages over the following 18 months.

I have worked in Construction for longer than I care to remember. I just don’t see how the new Kippax could have been conceived and designed under Lee given the timescale for design and planning permission. That is unless Lee had a time machine handy?
They were aware that Swales wanted to carry the Platt Lane round to the Kippax and had alternative plans in place before the take over as they had to maximise income to have any chance of succeeding I have plans that show a outline plan for the development of the whole stadium which were draw up before the t/o
Like I said Swales told me his plans for the Kippax personally and it wasn’t anything like what Franny built
Franny didn’t try to get an extension to keep the old stand in a place to give him more time but it was refused as stadiums we had to become all seated
During the build they ran into problems with the groundwork which cost a additional substantial amount

They were aware that Swales wanted to carry the Platt Lane round to the Kippax and had alternative plans in place before the take over as they had to maximise income to have any chance of succeeding I have plans that show a outline plan for the development of the whole stadium which were draw up before the t/o
Like I said Swales told me his plans for the Kippax personally and it wasn’t anything like what Franny built
Franny didn’t try to get an extension to keep the old stand in a place to give him more time but it was refused as stadiums we had to become all seated
During the build they ran into problems with the groundwork which cost a additional substantial amount
I call bullshit. Believe what you want but the timeline makes it clear that the whole thing was conceived and designed under Swales.

You cannot conjure up a major construction project in a few weeks. The Kippax as was built had to be thought out and designed months if not years in advance. You cannot design, get planning permission and construct a major stand in a few weeks (or months?).

I am sure that Swales might have had ideas of continuing the North Stand around the stadium at one stage but he didn’t do that. He built the Platt Lane stand and appeared to reduce the seated capacity in the process. The Kippax rebuild has his dirty fingerprints all over it.

The New Kippax was obviously aimed at ‘downsizing’ the stadium in terms of capacity while increasing corporate provision.

There was never any prospect of getting extensions for conversion to all-seater. This had been laid down years before for top-league teams.

The planning permission for the new Kippax was validated in June 1993 so they would have submitted initially a couple of months before that, and the original concept would have been in 1992.

Franny Lee didn't have control until 1994 and full permission was granted in May 1994, so even if there was a possibility of amending things, it would be impossible due to consultation and committee timescales by May. Even if Lee had his own alternative plans and had people working on them extensively before takeover, it would be a massive change to a one tier stand and would need 12 weeks' consultation once everything had been submitted, and a few months on to to consider responses, then eventually go to committee for a decision. It would have been the end of 1994 at best.

The old dowager was well past her best when the wrecking balls moved in, but it had a unique character, like the faded seats of a different hue wherever you looked.

I remember when we were at the cutting edge of technology after the north stand opened, and an electronic scoreboard was installed. In a way, it was a reflection of our demise, as it worked well enough initially, but when the money started running out, the light bulbs started to blow, never to be replaced, and the messages became a confusing mish mash of unintelligible gibberish, rather like our chairman at the time.
Don't remember it ever workin

I call bullshit. Believe what you want but the timeline makes it clear that the whole thing was conceived and designed under Swales.

You cannot conjure up a major construction project in a few weeks. The Kippax as was built had to be thought out and designed months if not years in advance. You cannot design, get planning permission and construct a major stand in a few weeks (or months?).

I am sure that Swales might have had ideas of continuing the North Stand around the stadium at one stage but he didn’t do that. He built the Platt Lane stand and appeared to reduce the seated capacity in the process. The Kippax rebuild has his dirty fingerprints all over it.

The New Kippax was obviously aimed at ‘downsizing’ the stadium in terms of capacity while increasing corporate provision.

There was never any prospect of getting extensions for conversion to all-seater. This had been laid down years before for top-league teams.
Call what you want no skin off my nose I've told you what I know
Just one comment re you downsizing; Of course it was downsizing, doesnt take an expert in construction to know, seats means less than standing. Within the constraints of the site the new Kippax as as large as possible and when opened the highest stand in the country in fact residents on Kippax Street could get Tv and the club had to put in relays

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.