What has been your worst moment following our club?

Relegation against Luton, seeing David Pleat dancing on our pitch,
Luton by far the worse for me, the week before loads of us had been singing and dancing at Hove station, having just won a tight game at Brighton 1-0. We only needed a draw at home to Luton, at team that had just been battered 5-1 at home to Everton. We had done the hard bit, or so we thought.
Relegation against Luton, seeing David Pleat dancing on our pitch,

A random one but It was a gut wrencher when Blackburn beat us in the FA Cup quarter final. I so desperately wanted a Wembley trip after years without one
That was when I realised we would never win anything in my lifetime (as purple conk might state)

It felt a lot like the 2016 semifinals.

I just sort of knew we were going to lose in a numbing, boring way and just watched it play out over 90/180 minutes.

Yep, I know it's easy to be a Monday morning quarter-back, but as soon as I saw the teams and the two managers interviewed before the game, I pretty much reconciled myself to losing.

Aside from Foden going close early on, there was a stench of being completely fazed by the occasion, coupled with a lack of belief from the entire team.

The amount of crosses in to our penalty area in the opening quarter of an hour, Stones, seemingly a rabbit caught in the headlights, was a scene I never anticipated earlier that day.

I genuinely didn't give a shit at the final whistle, because we didn't deserve it and those closest to me couldn't believe how indifferent I was to it all.

For me it was, and always will be, the 3-1 defeat at Edgeley Park in 97-98, and the awful growing sense that Stockport were actually a more hard working cohesive unit. Yes, I was at York, Macclesfield, Lincoln, and even suffered the embarrassment of a rare FA Cup 2nd Round appearance at Darlington, but by then, I'd acclimatized.

Up until Edgeley Park I'd kidded myself that City had nearly always won promotion at the 2nd attempt, and it would therefore only be a matter of time, before we launched ourselves into the promotion reckoning.

Strangely, despite the CL providing arguably our biggest ever game last May, I never once felt a sense of occasion in Porto, and it was exactly the same in the Bernabeau in 2015-16

Luton, my first experience of relegation, followed close by Stoke, going down to what was the third division, both haunt me, but there are quite a few more we have had so many.

Stoke away 98.
Even delivering a knockout punch on one of their Burberry clad "Boyz" in their main stand when it all kicked off after goater scored the 1st really didn't eleviate the feeling of despair at full time when we were officially down into the 3rd tier of English football

Porto was like a slow motion nightmare which began as the teams were announced.

Seeing Peter Barnes in a Rag top mid 80s absolutely creased as well, as he had been my first idol at City

Last edited:
A random one but It was a gut wrencher when Blackburn beat us in the FA Cup quarter final. I so desperately wanted a Wembley trip after years without one
Atmosphere was poisonous in the City end that day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.