What has been your worst moment following our club?

Honestly, the losses, relegation, poor signings and bad games are part of football and I remember the great games and good times a lot more than the low points.
The worst moment following City for me was the introduction of VAR and our first two experiences of it against Spurs. I haven't celebrated a goal properly since and football now feels much less exciting, vibrant and real, the emotion has been removed from the game so it now feels so distant and irrelevant.
It's worse that this isn't something I have any control over, I want to celebrate the goals and enjoy the game again but can't.
I now feel like I'm watching the game in a slightly removed way, losses don't really bother me now but the wins also feel empty. I watch the amazing football we play and I feel like I'm watching it as a dispassionate scientist instead of drinking it in as art.
I really don't know how to get out of this and I hate it.

If we are talking 'moments', the moment the second Gillingham goal went in and I flounced out of the (scottish) local I had persuaded to have it on the telly. It only lasted 5 minutes or so though. The time it took me to walk home and check ceefax (back to the pub, my hardly touched pint still intact :-))

I have to say a longer malaise is being created by a combination of refereeing corruption, VAR, a biased media and Covid, not to mention the current level of care the club show towards match going fans. It is sucking the joy out of the game I love.

A few moments spring to mind. Hard to choose one!

The first was in the 90s after we lost to Barnsley, I think in the cup. A bald headed player (Steve Agnew) scored a hat trick for them if memory serves, one of which went in off Paul Cooper's back. My mum and sister had joined us for the game, first row of the south stand, and have never been back to a football game eve.

Getting beat by county and I think drawing at bury away in torrential rain was another lowlight. Took over two hours to get to bury in rush hour, wasnt it a Friday, something very odd for the 90s? Awful game and the bury fans were loving the fact that half the city fans were in uncovered seating. My boots filled with rainwater and were more entertaining than watching the game.

A few years earlier on the back of several defeats I remember walking out of Maine Road and laying into my dad as we walked back for bringing me to city and vowing to never go again. Don't remember the game much but I do remember going back for the next home game full of misguided hope.

Then there is the match that nobody wanted to win. City Vs Bolton, Pearce Vs Allardyce. My wife's family got free tickets as par of the community scheme so I gave up my seat with my mates to sit with them. Bolton won one nil despite not having a shot on target, and I've despised Allardyce from that day for his pure negativity in football. We were shite, they were just anti football.

Last edited:
Honestly, the losses, relegation, poor signings and bad games are part of football and I remember the great games and good times a lot more than the low points.
The worst moment following City for me was the introduction of VAR and our first two experiences of it against Spurs. I haven't celebrated a goal properly since and football now feels much less exciting, vibrant and real, the emotion has been removed from the game so it now feels so distant and irrelevant.
It's worse that this isn't something I have any control over, I want to celebrate the goals and enjoy the game again but can't.
I now feel like I'm watching the game in a slightly removed way, losses don't really bother me now but the wins also feel empty. I watch the amazing football we play and I feel like I'm watching it as a dispassionate scientist instead of drinking it in as art.
I really don't know how to get out of this and I hate it.
100% agree
Put simply - VAR has ruined football

I was at the game and felt like the only one in the ground who still believed at 2-1 down, I was urging them on while everyone around me was silent.

When Dzeko scored, I just thought “Oh fuck off City, only you could fuck up the title by one goal”.
I said to my mate, "We can win this"!
Then - Balotellli , Agueroooo...

Lincoln away in the League Cup ... I stood up and 'politely clapped' Rosler's opener in the first minute to a volley of abuse from 'mates' sat around me, then the collapse ensued. I still get reminded about it on a weekly basis.

Driving back over the Humber Bridge after York away a couple of years later, coming a close second.
+1 for this match. It was my blue cousin's first match...

Absolutely loads, from pat on the head piss-takes to relegations. Selling Sweep at the time cut me up a bit. Stoke away, someone made one of those spliffs that people only make when they know someone that doesn't want to be too stoned make. Anyway, the steward wouldn't let me in as he said I looked smashed. So I told him I was ill and chucked up on his shoes. He ran off with his walkie trying to get hold of his boss as I strolled in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.