What has been your worst moment following our club?

Crawling through the traffic from Maine Road, past the Royal Oak in Chorlton, on the day we were relegated vs the Scousers.
Loads of rags living it up on the beers across the pavement.
Wound the window down and just levelled the Vs at them as we stopped at the lights.
When they clocked me - loads of abuse came our way but the Vs remained aimed in their direction as they all belted out “we’ll never see you again”.
I was as low as could be with a great sense of foreboding as to what the future was to hold!!

Sitting in my seat on the plane in San Francisco for my flight to Philadelphia connecting to Manchester for the Arsenal match in 2011. Ready to go. Mechanics can’t get the cowling on the engine closed. Flight cancelled. No way to get out there in time. God dammit.

The good news is I think we, uh, might have won the league that season or something.

1981 cup final. Watching both games live at home in NZ.
Leading 1-0, cannot remember who it was but he was through, only had to put the ball in the net, admittedly from a tight angle, but hit the post. Had that gone in I'm sure we would have won. They then got a free kick which Joe had it covered until it hit Tommy who was running across the back of the wall, it hit his shoulder and deflected for their equaliser.
Then the replay. Their Argentina duo came to life and depite Joe's efforts (man of the match again) we lost.

But the worst for me was Buchan's (sic) tackle that ended Colin's career.

went to both the 81 final and the replay but the worst was relegation in the final day defeat against Luton........ as far as I am aware my eldest sisters only game attendance peppered with her comment " why don't they pass to each other"... it can't and won't have been but my memory is of near silence as the ball falls to Antic he shot the ball flicks off Caton's thigh over just over Alex William's hands and that rippling noise of the ball hitting the net followed by one guy somewhere behind just saying "fuck".. we all knew that was it then........

I've had a good think about this, and it has to be a game at Coms, as was, when Stuart Pierce was our manager.

I can't remember now who we were playing, possibly Coventry City, not that it matters, but we hadn't scored a goal at home in months, we were, as usual, hoping to avoid relegation, but on that day I had never been so devoid of expectation.

I wasn't watching the game, there wasn't any point. I was just looking around the ground, at the 30,000 or so of us that had turned up that day, and genuinely being conflicted about why I bothered turning up, and why anyone else did.

We hadn't won anything for years, decades, and on that day I couldn't see the point of watching a team that would never win anything again in my lifetime. I'd begun watching City in 1967 and it was an easy ride back in those days as I grew up with a successful team, winning trophies. I'd sort of accepted our ups and downs after that wonderful period, but on that day, there wasn't any enthusiasm in my heart, just a total loss of why I was bothering attending.

The Owen goal for the rags was probably the worst. This was largely because I was in a pub full of rags in Chester and was jumping up and down on my chair every time we scored. It got nasty after that goal and I was basically chased out of the pub.

Also the Spurs VAR champs league moment.. that’s made me hate VAR forever no matter if the decision for us or against us.. to be honest for me this moment was the death of spontaneous celebrating in football. It should have been another aguero moment that we talked about forever

I am pretty sure that for most (not all) it has to be related to your age at the time….as is highlighted by the variety of worst moments mentioned, a long list to choose from, for anyone over about 40 & being a city fan!

Being 20 in 83’ nothing even comes remotely close to FUCKING Luton.

OMG, we were a few minutes from winning the fa cup (went to both finals) 24 months previously, & now we were being relegated!!! I remember thinking, this is just a bad dream for a few moments, this cannot be true, this does not happen to City. And then, realising it just did.

From the moment we started walking to the car with dad and 2 younger brothers, NOBODY SPOKE ONCE, until we got home about 6ish

Was absolutely gutted. My middle brother (a lot more rebellious than me) literally went on the vocal equivalent of a hunger strike, for the entire week afterwards. Didnt utter a word for a week, as his personal show of despair and sadness!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.