What has the UK become?

You don't have to be a Tory to be worried about who you allow in to the country you should know that Keith.

Chance on Australia

On a dinghy err......... no. With my kids? Err......... no

Plus the accent and spiders

If I've fled a war torn UK I would be much more concerned with thanking the good people of Indonesia rather than thinking of throwing a shrimp on a barbie
But how would we ‘no’, living in such a wonderful world that they can only dream of?

Edit. I don’t really want to interact with people like yourself so will leave the thread to you.

Last edited:
We can’t win unless we find a way to deter the migrants… Rwanda is a preposterous idea in practice but there are surely other, more cost effective ways of making any future migrants think again before making their journey.. There are plenty of ex-RAF camps for example where we could corale asylum seekers for their own safety and ours whilst putting them through some sort of Citizenship training to support their claim for asylum.. use that time to instil our beliefs and principles and give them an educated decision about whether the UK is really for them… If they were genuinely fleeing persecution then surely they’d be up for this..

Housing and educating asylum seekers about life in the UK and what to expect is a good idea. Many would have family here too, which would also help with integration.

The UK is one of the best European countries when it comes to integrating immigrants and anything that helps that process can only be of benefit.

The same suspects blaming the UK for a problem caused by the EU, these migrants entered the EU and then went through the UK to rejoin the UK and for some reason we should have either forced them to stay or helped Ireland to force them over the border against their will.

There's stupid happening on this thread.
It’s a problem that arises directly from Brexit.

How did the EU cause that?

It’s a problem that arises directly from Brexit.

How did the EU cause that?

Well France wont accept them back and they came from an EU country namely France, all they have done is skipped through the UK to get to another EU country. How is that our fault?

If the EU are doing very little to prevent them making the journey through their borders to France then how is that our issue if they make it to Ireland?

It's honestly really hard to argue complicity when a criminal act is taking place.

If I ask a dodgy fella to smuggle me into Europe and it goes wrong then it's my own fault isn't it? You wouldn't say that either country on either side of the water is complicit because they didn't help me to avoid breaking the law....

I can understand an argument on desperation but I don't think that desperation has anything to do with it.

I think that people are coming here purely because that crossing is actually a product sold by criminals. You pay £X and in return you're helped to take a risk and the payoff is a good likelihood of asylum application success, treatment and benefits etc.

The day that 'product' goes sour or something better crops up elsewhere is the day that the crossings will stop.

On the Rwanda scheme it seems they paid someone £3k plus airfare and board and lodgings for five years to go. Firstly, good luck to the person involved although I reckon they could have shook the Govt down for a larger up front payment and secondly, I don’t think paying and subsidising people to leave is going to be a deterrent- indeed for some it may be an incentive :)

On the Rwanda scheme it seems they paid someone £3k plus airfare and board and lodgings for five years to go. Firstly, good luck to the person involved although I reckon they could have shook the Govt down for a larger up front payment and secondly, I don’t think paying and subsidising people to leave is going to be a deterrent- indeed for some it may be an incentive :)

Stupid policy designed by stupid people.

Well France wont accept them back and they came from an EU country namely France, all they have done is skipped through the UK to get to another EU country. How is that our fault?

If the EU are doing very little to prevent them making the journey through their borders to France then how is that our issue if they make it to Ireland?

The UK is not in the EU and they arrived in Ireland via a non-EU country and therefore not eligible for return to an EU country I would imagine. The UK is therefore the country on the hook so to speak.

The historic travel agreement between Ireland and UK and the complicated position of NI means travel is easier between the RoI, NI and GB; add in the Good Friday Agreement and it’s a tricky one.

The UK is not in the EU and they arrived in Ireland via a non-EU country and therefore not eligible for return to an EU country I would imagine. The UK is therefore the country on the hook so to speak.

The historic travel agreement between Ireland and UK and the complicated position of NI means travel is easier between the RoI, NI and GB; add in the Good Friday Agreement and it’s a tricky one.

It's all a bit tricky isn't it? What is tricky is that France are refusing anyone back who passed through their borders. If the EU and the UK can't come to a grown up agreement then this is the end result.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.