What if we don't get 4th?

mancity1 said:
Scareye said:
Some people will have you believe that it would be a total disaster, in truth it would be a set back but nothing more. I also believe that sacking the manager even in these circumstances would be a mistake and almost like starting all over again. Patience is the key, from us, the chairman and the owners.
That said I will still be there on Saturday, feeling like chewing my own arm off if things are not going well!!!

Presumably the owners had some say in who we chose to replace Hughes which they I again assume with some degree of certainty they had no imput into.

Reading what some our posters who have some knowledge and experience about the current owners sense of values and trust in their own decisions for the long haul I would suggest that Mancini will stay on if we fail to reach 4th come May 22 or before.

Unless we have a more suitable person who can get more out of the squad with a couple of additions ( clearly the days of 7 or 8 new faces each summer are gone now for many reasons ) than RM and the owners are supremely assured that this person wants to manage us because he knows he will get trophies quickly and have us in the drivers seat for the title in his first season they will not use the 18 months per manager scenario I would think.

I would strongly disagree your take and would expect Mancini to be sacked if we do not attain fourth.

It's a target he would have failed to deliver twice and way below a title assault that some were expecting.

And Mourinho pipes us all the time...

the blue panther said:
To answer the question, I suspect that if we finish 5th, don't win a cup and Mourinho is available, the clamour for him will be so loud that we will go for him.
Then, we will see a further wholesale change of the playing staff, but, probably with a good eventual outcome in the end, as he is the best manager you can have. His record is inarguable and he's done it at different clubs, which to my mind puts him in a class above Fergie. NB If he's available at the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie retire and Mourinho to go in at OT.
Personally, I hope that we get 4th at least - i don't think we will do any better now - win a cup, and keep Mancini. He is still dealing with a squad which isn't all of his making and I believe that, given time, he too will be able to take us where we want to be. I like him. everybody has their ups and downs, makes the odd mistake, and i think he knows where he's slipped up ( Vieira) and although we're a little down right now, we're still 3rd in the league.
He is learning about the squad and the premier league still. he's had a year. we are having a bit of a dip in form but hopefully we will pick up again soon. If form hadn't dipped in the last month, we'd still be 2nd and you probably wouldn't even be asking the question! ( Fickle bunch aren't we. ) Ultimately, his style of footie isn't that different from Mourinho's and, if it gets us trophies wthin a year or 2 more, and top 2/3 regularly, that will do for me.

You should be a counsellor, mate. Wise and calming words :-)

Freestyler said:
I'd take 4th now.

if we can get a good lead on spuds, then beat them at home it's on.

If we get a good lead on Spuds freestyler I would suggest we have a very strong chance of getting third from Chelsea and we won't need to worry about Spurs at home.

I would bet good money we will beat Spurs at home if nothing hinges on it.

If something hinges on it we are a shoe in to lose (lol).

Alot will depend on injuries and plain old good fortune.

I have seen the Blackburn game in full for a second time tonight and how Spurs came away with three points is beyond me.

The Spurs keeper had one of his blinders and they kept their 5th clean sheet for the season somehow.

How Carr's clear handball wasn't given a penalty is beyond me and while we didn't play well for most of the match we did enough to convince the pessimist I am normally that it was 2 points dropped rather than a point salvaged.

Chippy_boy said:
the blue panther said:
To answer the question, I suspect that if we finish 5th, don't win a cup and Mourinho is available, the clamour for him will be so loud that we will go for him.
Then, we will see a further wholesale change of the playing staff, but, probably with a good eventual outcome in the end, as he is the best manager you can have. His record is inarguable and he's done it at different clubs, which to my mind puts him in a class above Fergie. NB If he's available at the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie retire and Mourinho to go in at OT.
Personally, I hope that we get 4th at least - i don't think we will do any better now - win a cup, and keep Mancini. He is still dealing with a squad which isn't all of his making and I believe that, given time, he too will be able to take us where we want to be. I like him. everybody has their ups and downs, makes the odd mistake, and i think he knows where he's slipped up ( Vieira) and although we're a little down right now, we're still 3rd in the league.
He is learning about the squad and the premier league still. he's had a year. we are having a bit of a dip in form but hopefully we will pick up again soon. If form hadn't dipped in the last month, we'd still be 2nd and you probably wouldn't even be asking the question! ( Fickle bunch aren't we. ) Ultimately, his style of footie isn't that different from Mourinho's and, if it gets us trophies wthin a year or 2 more, and top 2/3 regularly, that will do for me.

Some good points, but Ancelotti didn't seem to struggle getting up to speed.

Are we really saying that we should be a guinea pig for Mancini. He will deliver or he won't and will be rightly judged this season.

Should Mourinho also be available, as the panther says, the clamour will prove too much.

Chippy_boy said:
the blue panther said:

Any time. That'll be £45.

If we don't get fourth, we dont. Its as simple as that.

I have been supporting City for 35 years and I will continue to do so whether we are in the Champions League or the Conference.

Since we have come into money, I haven't been lauding it like some City fans have. I haven't made ridiculous statements like we'll win the Premier League and go onto to win the Champions League.

Anyone who has supported City for a while will realise that we have our ups and downs but some on Bluemoon convince themselves that we are better than we are when they should just enjoy the ride.

I don't know how patient our owners are. Chances are if they're not, then I can guarantee they'll pursue mourinho.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Chippy_boy said:

Some good points, but Ancelotti didn't seem to struggle getting up to speed.

Are we really saying that we should be a guinea pig for Mancini. He will deliver or he won't and will be rightly judged this season.

Should Mourinho also be available, as the panther says, the clamour will prove too much.

I like Mancini and still have faith in him, but the main reason I want to keep him is because he is already here. Changing horses i.e. managers is usually so very disruptive - not always, granted - but usually it is.

If things dont work out though and we could get Mourinho at the end of the season, his pedigree is so beyond question that we'd have to seriously think about it. Especially as he has demonstrated an ability to come straight in and win things and not take 4 years rebuilding before he does so.

But he is about the only one I would consider swapping for, and I don't think we could get him. I think him going to United is inevitable. And the idea of sacking Mancini in the summer and bringing (say) Rijkaard in would be just total madness.

Uwes Grandad said:
If we don't get fourth, we dont. Its as simple as that.

I have been supporting City for 35 years and I will continue to do so whether we are in the Champions League or the Conference.

Since we have come into money, I haven't been lauding it like some City fans have. I haven't made ridiculous statements like we'll win the Premier League and go onto to win the Champions League.

Anyone who has supported City for a while will realise that we have our ups and downs but some on Bluemoon convince themselves that we are better than we are when they should just enjoy the ride.

I agree UG its a different form of anxiety but it sure beats the hell out of wondering where our 40 points are going to come from or how we will respond to a loss at Oldham.

Remember James and Leicester's penalty anyone?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.