What players do you remember and what players do you forget that you remember?

A couple for me….

David Rocastle (can’t believe we signed him and then his debut when Franny took over)

Shaun Wright Phillips (the second time around) - on social media the clip of Ballotelli kicking off with CamelGob at the end of the FA cup final has been doing the rounds - I’m always surprised to be reminded SWP was in the squad for the semi-final

Peter Beardsley - similar to Rocastle, such a great iconic player at his previous clubs and short spell with city at the end of their careers
Rocastle was a very talented player, which the City fans could see at the time, though not with us long. We signed him past his best although he was still quite young but he was never as good as in his Arsenal days. Sadly died at only 33 years old with non hodgkinsons lymphoma .
One of those players along with SWP I reckon would look good in the current team. Personally I thought ' Shauny Wright Wright Wright' did okay in that 2nd spell. We were getting a good team together in 09/10 wirh him, Zabaleta, Kompany, De Jong, Barry, Tevez, Bellamy etc...Obviously he left before we got really good..but he did play in that Semi didn't he ,and that's an iconic photo!
Peter Beardsley? Pretty sure the only time I saw him play for us was in a shockingly,stunningly inept defeat at Reading the season we got relegated to the 3rd tier. We'll and truly past it by then, reminded me of an ex pro who'd been persuaded to play in a charity match having not played a game for years!

Didn't we sign him from the Trafford Termites ?
thought we signed him purely because he had the audacity to score against us in the Cup. Neither heard of before nor since. Twas a good goal in fairness, but if you are going to sign people on the basis of scoring against us and noone else, surely we should have bought David Batty. (havent googled it but didnt he score like 4 goals in his entire career and 3 of them were against us or something daft)

Remember - David Pizarro, only played a handful of games but I'd never seen a player with his passing ability play for us before so he's just ingrained.
Pizarro was indeed a talented footballer to get on a short term loan, past his best by then but the quality was still visible.

David Silva was in his 2nd season when Pizarro arrived so I'm a bit sceptical about the passing ability comment. ;-)

I've seen his name in the records but I still cannot remember a single thing about Darren Wassall in a City shirt and I know I was at all the games he's listed as playing in.

Peter Beardsley? Pretty sure the only time I saw him play for us was in a shockingly,stunningly inept defeat at Reading the season we got relegated to the 3rd tier. We'll and truly past it by then, reminded me of an ex pro who'd been persuaded to play in a charity match having not played a game for years!
Ah yes, the 3-0 loss at Reading, definitely one of the low points even in that period. Tbf to Beardsley most of his teammates didn't even resemble ex-pros on that night.

A couple for me….

David Rocastle (can’t believe we signed him and then his debut when Franny took over)

Shaun Wright Phillips (the second time around) - on social media the clip of Ballotelli kicking off with CamelGob at the end of the FA cup final has been doing the rounds - I’m always surprised to be reminded SWP was in the squad for the semi-final

Peter Beardsley - similar to Rocastle, such a great iconic player at his previous clubs and short spell with city at the end of their careers
Semi final (we played Stoke in the final).

;-)

David Cross, sometime around '82 or' 83. And Mark Lillis. Bloody hell. Yes, he was a blue. But he was shite. He trapped the ball further than I could kick it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.