What things do you remember from Maine Road?

noely said:
black mamba said:
Fuzzmaster101 said:
Nicks sports shoes. LOL.

What year was this btw?

Not really sure ...... i've a feeling that it might be the 1985 Charlton promotion game.

2zg6phw.gif

one of the advertising boards has carling premiership on it so it wont be 85
also you can make out a kid in a purple and white away kit from 92/93 season
so maybe its from the last day of the kippax?
That big flag used to come out a bit in the early 90s. I seem to remember it was made with the profits from Blueprint, the first city fanzine.

That photo is probably the last game of the kippax, or one of the few games before that, in spring 93.

I was a kid in the Kippax, my Dads stomping ground. Every time City scored me and r kid ended up at the front somewhere. We moved to the North Satnd when it was being done up. Rememeber Boro coming in and kicking off and my old man running off to scrap while some women looked after me and my and r kid. Funny how football memories always stick.

Playing there in 2003 in the budwieser cup against united which possibly could have been the last game played there, a Wednesday night game under the flood lights coming out to right here right now in city kit and seeing my name on scoreboard as teams were announced, loads more memories like fish and chip crisps when I was younger but that is my favourite

Didsbury Dave said:
noely said:
black mamba said:
Not really sure ...... i've a feeling that it might be the 1985 Charlton promotion game.

2zg6phw.gif

one of the advertising boards has carling premiership on it so it wont be 85
also you can make out a kid in a purple and white away kit from 92/93 season
so maybe its from the last day of the kippax?
That big flag used to come out a bit in the early 90s. I seem to remember it was made with the profits from Blueprint, the first city fanzine.

That photo is probably the last game of the kippax, or one of the few games before that, in spring 93.

The first time I remember seeing the flag was against Spurs in the 4-2 FA Cup match. The only reason it sticks in the memory was me and my mates (embarassing in hindsight) went onto the kippax early so we could blow up hundreds of blue and white baloons. Unfortunately we released them around the same time the flag was unfurled resulting in the couple of hundred baloons or so ending up under the flag resulting in them being popped. Not much reward for a couple of hours work.

I remember the super modern, space age electronic scoreboard that they put in the new North Stand in 1972.

More and more of the little lights used to stay on all the time and make messages hard to read.

Eventually they gave up on it but I think it stayed in place until the stadium closed in 2003.

the bog behind the kippax
no seat
no bog roll
no door
no flush
full to the brim

and still there'd be someone on it, with their keks round their ankles dangling in a sea of piss, having a shit

Doc Martens, Major Domos, City badge patches you sowed onto your Wrangler, (remember the wings?) scaves tied on each wrist and one around your neck. Oh and silk scaves.

Wooden benches in the Platt Lane with painted lines showing 'your seat'.

As a skinny 6 year old you tended to lose a bit of comfort sat next to a 'fat mess' as I used to call him. The one on my right that is - not my Dad on the left.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.