What things do you remember from Maine Road?

Helen
Trumans for Steel
Not turning on the floodlights until minutes before kick off
Demos
Charlton
5-1
Radic Antic ☹️
Bottles of coke at Junior Blues meets
The Kippax
The TV at the back of the North stand
Mind yer car!
Promotions
The tiny club shop
Pink final
The noise
Open days
Sleeping over queuing for less than 300 Derby tickets
12 hours for Gillingham
Exploring the North stand as a kid
The smoke
The beer

My 1st ever game v carlisle, we lost 3-1 typical city! david phillips scored a screamer tho & i was on motd 4 wks jumping about platt lane!!, the 5-1 massacre, being 3-1 up following season with mins to go & nearly losing, & being one of the 30,000 (fuck you swales) rammed into the kippax that glorious day v charlton

The bomb scare in 1974 - cant remember who it was against, but I think it was during the power cuts. Also, I think it was a game on a weekday afternoon, and I was sciving off school. Hopefully someone can confirm. Cheers!

The start of 'blue moon' in the kippax
My first game. Everton in 81 FA Cup
The floodlights you could see for miles
Sneaking in beer in my rucksack
My first season ticket. 40 quid
The Scottish guy at the main entrance
Players' cars outside the ground
The souvenir 'store'
Junior blues
Dog shit in the alleyways
Black gangsters selling weed in the pubs

Ski hats with Rangers(the odd Celt)
Chucking stuff at coaches at the back of the Kippax
Chucking stuff at coaches outside the Parkside on a summers day(cheaper to go across the rd for a few cans :)
Kippax candle demo getting cancelled due to fire regs?
Yellow steward cardboard pass that would get you into the White house
That silver tray at the Parkside doors that would make Bob Geldoff think about his motives
Sneaking into the main entrance during the day for a laugh
Getting a cig put out in your face/head when we scored(Kippax)
Walking back trying to listen to radios for scores
The pink
Roads full of horse shit up Wilbraham rd
Winsford rd full of glass from car windows
Sat having a pint and pie on the Kippax stairs at the back - or 3 or 4 pints if your'e just carrying on from the night before
trying to sneak into concerts
Eddie Large sat near the dugout

The chippy, the hum of chatter in the club shop, massive police horses, the nervous but excited feeling going through the turnstiles, working my way through the darkness of the stands into the singing section, cigarette smoke, the noise from the away fans, getting hit by coins from the Leeds fans, joining in with classic chants like " And its Manchester City, Manchester City FC..." , the anxiety getting away from the stadium, the bus journey back to piccadilly station.

Happy days!!!

All those things but more, for me, the friends I went with catching the 41 from Sale Moor. The most beautiful girl, a friend of a friend, i loved from afar and now, sadly, gone.

Going to my granny's on Yew Tree Road for tea after the game and seeing my grandad and favourite Uncle. Like the ground all gone. Off to the rag thread to cheer myself up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.