What things do you remember from Maine Road?

The back alleys; Moss Siders mindin yer car (not mine, me da's - just too young); the club shop before it became 'big'; Blue Moon chippy; the Gene Kelly stand and getting pissed on during a typical Manchester downpour; the atmosphere 98-00/01.

From the early days as a kid we used to arrive at the ground via one of the passage ways between the terraced houses. Coming from the Lloyd St/Platt Lane direction. You'd be walking down the passage way, could be fairly quiet or a there could be few other blues around and then all of a sudden you were out of the passage way and looking at the outside of the Main stand. The place would be buzzing with blues and the atmosphere just grabbed you and you could feel the hairs on the back of you neck.

Even later on when I stopped going with my Mum and Dad and started walking on my own to the ground I deliberatley went the same way.

I think the new ground is great but nothing feels quite the same as coming out of one of those passage ways and seeing Maine Rd in front of me.

black mamba said:
Fuzzmaster101 said:
Nicks sports shoes. LOL.

What year was this btw?

Not really sure ...... i've a feeling that it might be the 1985 Charlton promotion game.

2zg6phw.gif

Nope. The early 90s, might even have been the first Monday night Sky game against QPR. I should know, some c*nts caught me underneath that flag and sparkled me all over!!!

Skashion said:
The back alleys; Moss Siders mindin yer car (not mine, me da's - just too young); the club shop before it became 'big'; Blue Moon chippy; the Gene Kelly stand and getting pissed on during a typical Manchester downpour; the atmosphere 98-00/01.
If your dad ever parked in Rosebery St in the 1970s then I'd have been minding his car. We used to get money to go to the game off our parents and then mind cars for cigarette money. What I remember about Maine Rd best is getting in for 15 pence...

The bit of bog roll hanging from the rafters in Platt lane Y4 in the late seventies.. it was thrown there during a eufa cup match and remained there for 2 seasons..

being told "keep your legs on the other side" when sitting on the white wall..

The top flight of stairs at the back of the main stand, where if you looked down at a gap between a window and the stairs you could see into a cubicle in the ladies... (you could only get away with this if you was a kid..)

I remember the Main Stand and how god awfully shite it was. Trying to get a Pie from the wood huts at the back of the Main stand was an absolute nightmare. I remember the good "old" days of Curle and Frontzeck and my dad letting me take £5 for some food and coming back WITH CHANGE!!!

Also I will never EVER forget my first City game there. My dad parked on some school car park and we walked down this street and then the biggest thing (the stadium) I had ever seen just appeared from nowhere. I remember there was a Burger Van on the corner and the smell of onions was overpowering.

Football isn't football to me without the smell of onions on a mobile burger van. Weird innit? lol

Going with my dad.

Going in the players lounge after every home game because my Dad knows Alan Kernaghan and getting a full autograph.

Being there when Kinkladze scored that goal.

Remember the first monday night sky game v QPR, all the fireworks and chearleaders. remember the Tottenham match in the cup on the TV, and sure there was a bit of bother behind Kipax and North Stand after that one (i was only young at the time though). The most annoying thing though is i cant remember my first game in 91 or so.

Getting nearly cut in half by the barrier when the crowd surged forward every time city scored. Them's were the days. When the only people who could afford not to stand at the game had to sit on a bench.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.