What was the most toxic period at City?

The Swales OUT protests were actually good fun, far better than the football. Found myself on the front pages of the M/c Evening News outside the Main Stand with a few thousand others. Then we had a game with the police called "dodging the charging horses"
Remember when the fans turned on Franny too, outside singing "dig him up" in reference to Swales who had passed away. That was a rough period.

All about opinions!

Not defending Summerbee per se...just that I think he was often the first and easiest target. There's always a player first in the firing line. Doku, Sterling, Heath, Edghill, Morley, etc. For a variety of reasons, but once their status has been established they usually get the abuse before others even when they are not the worst on the pitch.
I can honestly say that there is only one City player I have given shit to at the game and it’s Buzzers lad

I remember hearing " we're shit and we're sick of it" at Maine Road and that hero running on the pitch and tearing his season ticket up in front of the Kippax. Bury. 1998?

The treatment of Edghill was a disgrace. IIRC Nicky Summerbee and Nigel Clough also copped for a load of stick.

You’ve been going much longer than me but I’ve certainly never known a player receive as much abuse as Edghill did. The own goal v Coventry match was very, very bad.

The most toxic period at City? That time when there was only a couple of days left and we had only signed a kid and a 30 year old freebie. Dark times.

I can honestly say that there is only one City player I have given shit to at the game and it’s Buzzers lad
Remember all the shit Joe Corrigan got in the early days when he replaced the much admired Harry Dowd. Could never have believed he would become a City legend. I preferred Healey as Dowds replacement but by the mid 70s was a huge fan of big Joe. Ashamed of the stick I used to give him

One that was toxic behind the scenes was the second half of Thaksin & Sven's tenure. I'm told they had a serious falling out over transfers, with Sven wanting to build on what he'd started and Thaksin either wanting someone more box office or we had no dosh. It got so heated that Thaksin apparently threw a vase at Sven, which fortunately missed.

Sven was then a dead man walking and that got through to the players. The second half of the season saw our form drop off a bit of a cliff. In addition the financial situation was getting difficult, with further debt being incurred and John Wardle having to lend us money to pay wages.

Garry Cook joined in May 2008 and virtually his first big task was to save us from administration because we couldn't find the money to pay the second instalment of £15m for the previous summer's transfers. He did that and the rest is history, with Sheikh Mansour arriving a couple of months later.
got a bit toxic in the away end in that 8-1 at Boro between City fans, some convinced that City and certain players had thrown that game in support of Sven

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.