What was the most toxic period at City?

I think there are different types of toxicity:
Fans v club would probably be the Swales Out era. Lee was just as bad as a chairman but retained a lot of goodwill from his time a s a player. The Official Supporters Club sticking to their rules and not opposing Swales even though he was dragging the club down was a disgrace, but it never descended to blue v blue battles.
Blue v blue would be the Pearce era, culminating in the cup-tie at Blackburn where 7,000 argued amongst themselves as we went out the cup. Though Luton 83 had its moments with some wanting to proclaim their loyalty while others wanted to vent their anger. I was one of those venting anger; I'd already renewed for the following season.
Fans v team has been fairly rare though "you're not fit to wear the shirt" wasn't exactly unknown under Ball, Coppell, and Clarke. The treatment of Edghill was a disgrace. IIRC Nicky Summerbee and Nigel Clough also copped for a load of stick.
Nicky Summerbee and Nigel Clough deserved all they got. Edgehill less so. I think we can all put up with someone trying their best but not being good enough. Summerbee and Clough never looked as though were giving 100% and appeared to be living off the name of their parents

Nicky Summerbee and Nigel Clough deserved all they got. Edgehill less so. I think we can all put up with someone trying their best but not being good enough. Summerbee and Clough never looked as though were giving 100% and appeared to be living off the name of their parents
You could add Ian Bowyer who is alleged to have been forced out by the boo-boys. Then some bloke called Brian turned him into a European Cup winner.

Disagree on Clough. Was a skilful and subtle player who was a bad fit at that time.

Summerbee was on a hiding to nothing at City and should have steered clear.

For certain periods it was every home game. The only reason I ever left a game early was to get from the Kippax to the main stand for the Swales out demos/riots
This was the start of the Early Leavers condition that eventually became institutionalised. Those same said people still leave early to get to the front of the scrum at the players entrance, only to find that the demo's and the aggro is no longer occurring.

Disagree on Clough. Was a skilful and subtle player who was a bad fit at that time.

Summerbee was on a hiding to nothing at City and should have steered clear.
Summerbee N was a shifty rag **** who didn’t work hard and fired more tackles than a nifty fly half

He was a grade A shithouse.

But irrespective of that it was never gonna work at City based on his dad's status at the club.
Disagree - not that he was shithouse but that it was never going to work for him at City. Most Blues I know wanted him at City (I think he had a very good game for Swindon at Maine Road - probably cos he was a rag) and wanted him to do well. He didn’t do well simply because he was a lazy coward ****, in my opinion

Disagree - not that he was shithouse but that it was never going to work for him at City. Most Blues I know wanted him at City (I think he had a very good game for Swindon at Maine Road - probably cos he was a rag) and wanted him to do well. He didn’t do well simply because he was a lazy coward ****, in my opinion
All about opinions!

Not defending Summerbee per se...just that I think he was often the first and easiest target. There's always a player first in the firing line. Doku, Sterling, Heath, Edghill, Morley, etc. For a variety of reasons, but once their status has been established they usually get the abuse before others even when they are not the worst on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.