What would be classed as a successful season?

I had this discussion with a few blues in Wolfsburg the other week.

Winning the league in such fashion will never be bettered, even if we win the Champions League next season. It was a glorious moment, made even better by the Sunderland fans proving how much United are despised.

However when comparing our results with United's it becomes obvious that we should have won the league by a larger margin.

Against our rivals in the Top 7 City achieved 27 points from a possible 36, losing only to Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton. That was Six points superior to United.
Similarly City achieved maximum points against the bottom 5 whereas United lost to Wigan and Blackburn.
Despite the obvious disparity, City threw away so many points against mid table opponents, often with spineless half hearted performances.
Even when we won at Wigan and Villa, both teams almost equalized in the last minute.

Nest season we have to be more positive when it really matters and if we're winning 2-0 at home with 20 minutes remaining we should try for a 3rd and a 4th goal rather than taking the sting out of the game.

I also felt that we never gave the cup competitions our best shot, even rotating for the vital game in Naples.

I think this will be the last season that most fans would settle for anything, whether it be in the Premier League or the Carling Cup. The Champions League is still a novelty and most of us would gladly settle for City being drawn against Madrid or Barca. That will change over a period of time

This question never needs to be asked ever again because for every single season we have ahead of us we should be looking to challenge for the title, get as far as we can in the Chmapions Lg (the difference between getting knocked out in the quarters and winning it was about £8m for Chelsea, that's all!) and if we win a domestic cup comp then that's a bonus. That's it. Forever more.

We wont win the league every season. Some seasons we'll finish third. Some we'll challenge and just miss out. Some we'll win. United will continue to win titles, don't ever be so naive to think their success is over. There may be times we go two or three years without a trophy but there will be years where we win two or even three trophies in a season and we might be so good one year where we win the lot. We shouldn't ever flap if we have an off season (it will 100% happen, guaranteed!). We should stick with Mancini and dust ourselves down and go again the season after.

The only time we should be concerned is if we ever look like we wont finish in the top three or we go more than three years without a trophy.

That's it. Enjoy it. Being a City fan has always been great (even at our deepest depths I loved it) but now it's dream land.

waspish said:
Rooney and RVP getting injured out for the season and BaconChops keels over ;)
Agreed I think its a matter of days that bacon chops keels over bring it on

One thing I'd like to specifically see improved is winning away from home at mid table sides.

We took three points home from one team from 5th-14th place last season (Nowich).

never been more content with city, a team full of top quality players, with some of the most likeable players ever to play for city.

we enter the season with chances, as a fan we will get to go to some top grounds in europe, we can beat anyone on our day so all to look forward to.

if we won just the league cup i would be delighted.

just happy days.

Dobsy said:
OP - no pressure then!

I'd say a successful season will be finishin 1st or 2nd in the league and reaching the QF of the CL.

I'm sorry mate, I just don't see how winning no trophies at all would be deemed a success to you? We've picked up silverware for the last 2 seasons now, so anything less would be a failure.

I'd personally quite like a league and fa cup double, its well within our capabilities too.

League or bacon chops pushing up daisies. Either way just as happy. Ps love jelly and ice cream, and know a bloke with a bouncy castle!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.