What's the problem(s)?

Statistics are an obsession of american sports and cricketers, they don't tell the full story.

The opposition allow us to have the ball for long periods, it what we do when we have the ball that counts but at this moment it is what we don't do with the ball that is the worry.

We are nowhere near the attacking threat we once were under Pep, we used to absolutely batter teams , they were beaten in the tunnel, never mind the pitch

I don't normally quote stats tbf but these only enforce that on the pitch it is obvious our main issue is converting chances.

Fix that and we would match the scouser for a title challenge we are not as bad as many on here are making out

I don't normally quote stats tbf but these only enforce that on the pitch it is obvious our main issue is converting chances.

Fix that and we would match the scouser for a title challenge we are not as bad as many on here are making out
The problems are far deeper than that, we no longer look like a happy camp, that's the biggest issue to me.

You have to replace them if you want continued success or build the squad to compensate for their loss, we have done neither.

Why did the club wait 12 months to replace Kompany? Why wait so long to replace Aguero?

Did we really expect a great young player to come in and replace the finest player in our history?

You want instant replacements of the legends who are at the same level or close to the level of the legends.

Last season, we didn't expect that Laporte would be badly injured, that Stones would suffer so many injuries and problems, that Otamendi would fall off a cliff, etc. We looked for a CB but the available players were expensive and we had doubts about their quality.

We can't sign a promising young striker when Aguero is still here and Jesus still struggles to get enough games. What if Jesus is the heir of Aguero?

Again, things are more complicated than you present them.

Chances are that nobody on here knows a fraction of what Pep and Txiki know about football. They make mistakes because it's impossible to not make mistakes. If some of us on here had to replace them at City, our mistakes would be much bigger and deeper. We come up with simple pictures of what is happening and conflate them with reality.

I think and predict:

1. We have a much better squad than many on here reckon.

2. We will have a stronger team in several months than many on here expect.

Let's see who is right.

Completely agree, Pep has come to England and revolutionised how we play and more importantly how we think about the game.

He is the teacher of total football.

But unfortunately for us the teacher has taught the students too well and they have pushed his principles on to another level, can the teacher respond?
That indeed is a good question, but I saw early signs of pep being more adaptive in the last game.Usually pep would ask his team to do a full press man to man against the last line of defence of the opposition, even in big games like pep's bayern did to barca or even us against liverpool.But yesterday we played a bit like liverpool but instead of going for a full press yesterday we counter-pressed their cm and had many counters.Even klopp was subjected to same criticism and people said others have improved what he initiated , I for one would not bet against pep.

You want instant replacements of the legends who are at the same level or close to the level of the legends.

Last season, we didn't expect that Laporte would be badly injured, that Stones would suffer so many injuries and problems, that Otamendi would fall off a cliff, etc. We looked for a CB but the available players were expensive and we had doubts about their quality.

We can't sign a promising young striker when Aguero is still here and Jesus still struggles to get enough games. What if Jesus is the heir of Aguero?

Again, things are more complicated than you present them.

Chances are that nobody on here knows a fraction of what Pep and Txiki know about football. They make mistakes because it's impossible to not make mistakes. If some of us on here had to replace them at City, our mistakes would be much bigger and deeper. We come up with simple pictures of what is happening and conflate them with reality.

I think and predict:

1. We have a much better squad than many on here reckon.

2. We will have a stronger team in several months than many on here expect.

Let's see who is right.
Stones is and has been a permanent "sick" note.

Otto was clearly past his best and was expecting to leave immediately after the formidables season.

Aguero has always had injury issues and was getting to the age where decline was inevitable.

You can never replace legends with legends, but you always buy the very best available, then you have a very good chance of those players becoming new legends.

Mahrez, Cancelo , Gundogan are not the very best of players, there are better players out there available.

I have a few ideas.

1. A lack of preseason/fitness
2. A inadequate replacement for Arteta
3. A lack of a striker,a hard man type.
4. A lack of leadership/characters/Fight
5. Squad disharmony

Am I wrong or being unfair? Is there another reason?

Whatever....something isn't clicking,and we need to find the answer otherwise top 4 will be a struggle.
Absolutely number 1. We seem to be able to play insanely good football for 30 mins, then our intensity drops off. I’d also add missing Aguero & Jesus to help kill teams off in those first 30mins is also a massive factor

Fan expectation is maybe a little unrealistic having had 2 record breaking seasons.

Actually, Liverpool had a (short) pre-season, played friendlies and the CS game. We started our preparation after their CS game. Besides, they didn't miss players due to covid in the first 2 games, we missed at least 3. Not the same at all.
Let's agree to disagree mate. All the best Blue.

You have to replace them if you want continued success or build the squad to compensate for their loss, we have done neither.

Why did the club wait 12 months to replace Kompany? Why wait so long to replace Aguero?

Did we really expect a great young player to come in and replace the finest player in our history?
Kompany was hardly world class when he first came to city was he?
Same, to a some certain extent can be said about silva and aguero, very much like with dias atleast 3 or more good signings in the next 2 windows would be enough for us to win next year.
But can understand the angst and frustration, scousers are good odds to win again.I think a lot of fans would not be this agitated if liverpool were not doing this well.I hate it too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.