What's the problem(s)?

1. No Preseason - well in that case why not? Who made that decision? Didn’t they have enough of a break in the lockdown months?

2. Ederson has been nullified as one of our main set up players. His influence on games offensively has almost ground to a complete halt.

3. Poor recruitment - We have needed a left back for 4 seasons and still havesigned one.

4. No strikers - going into a season with two strikers each year has always been a risk, particularly when one of them always misses games through injury. As Jesus is capable of playing on the left, we should have signed another striker. We will need one next season anyway as Aguero is likely to be done by then so we should have signed one for this one. Aubamayang would have good as a short term option and would have been a perfect solution at very little initial outlay.

5. Lack of leadership. Why are the players allowed to choose the captain?? Surely the a manager sees leadership qualities and makes this decision himself. Choosing a captain who is likely to play less than half then games is madness to me.

6. The forward four players have become extremely lazy at getting back and helping out the overrun midfield when the opposition attack. This needs addressing. There were times yesterday when Leeds had 4 on four. Contract this with a break that Sterling had which looked promising. Leeds got 8 men behind the ball very quickly so the threat was extinguished. We need to do this too at times especially when not in good form.

7. Mahrez - A luxury we can’t afford.
8. Mendy - A complete liability who opposition coaches now Target.

The biggest positive for me yesterday was the instant understanding between Dias and Laporte. Hopefully that lays the foundation for better things to come. Aguero coming back will help as will Jesus.

However, this looks very much like a continuation of last season and if anything worse from what I have seen so far so to expect anything other than the same end result is very much wishful thinking currently.
Spot on assessment

How do you work that out?

We had 23 efforts on goal vs Leeds. 2 on target. You look at a problem, you pick the simplest and most obvious answer and that is we struggled to make the most of numerous opportunities without our central strikers.

Irritating when people want to make more of what is a straightforward injury crisis.

If I took Salah and Mane out of the Liverpool side and they went to Elland Rd, I think there'd be a high probably they'd struggle for goals too.

Jesus isnt a 20 plus goals in the league striker. He also needs around 5 chances to score 1.

As long as we struggle in front of goal we will continue to have bad results. Jesus being back after the international break will help with our pressing and also hopefully sticking the ball in the net. Any long term injuries though and we are fucked. Starting to think a CF should of been a bigger priority this transfer window.

We had 23 efforts on goal vs Leeds. 2 on target. You look at a problem, you pick the simplest and most obvious answer and that is we struggled to make the most of numerous opportunities without our central strikers.

Irritating when people want to make more of what is a straightforward injury crisis.

If I took Salah and Mane out of the Liverpool side and they went to Elland Rd, I think there'd be a high probably they'd struggle for goals too.
If Mane and Salah were injured they now have Jota.

They have added and are getting stronger.

We have 2 senior strikers on the books, yes 2, and one is 33 and has a very serious knee injury.

That's bad planning , especially with 50 plus games in a short period of time and with no preseason and even if you want to look ahead long term, there will be no rest whatsoever for most players next summer due to the Euros.

Kompany was hardly world class when he first came to city was he?
Same, to a some certain extent can be said about silva and aguero, very much like with dias atleast 3 or more good signings in the next 2 windows would be enough for us to win next year.
But can understand the angst and frustration, scousers are good odds to win again.I think a lot of fans would not be this agitated if liverpool were not doing this well.I hate it too.
Kompany was a very highly regarded player, all the major clubs were looking at him the only reason we got him and for such a low price was the worry about injuries.

Silva again, highly regarded and at the time that was a very high fee, same with Aguero. Real wanted Aguero but Atletico would never have allowed him to go there.

Our recruitment under Macini/Cook was very good, targeting very high quality players , paying top fee's and wages but getting our men.

Can but won't Marvin unfortunately we struggle to get anything from behind and now we really struggle to keep leads.

Clean sheets are vital for us never more so and we can't achieve that anymore.

You would hope we will get back some of that ruthlessness which was a hallmark of out title years under Pep but once you lose that its hard to get it back especially under the same manager.
I think you're wrong on this The defence will get sorted. Dias and Laporte look like quality players to me and we are also missing two full backs in ZInchenko and Cancelo who'd both do an adequate job at left back. There's an element of hope/faith that Dias will settle in but yesterday was quite a good debut I thought.

We played without our two senior strikers yesterday and it really affected our attacking game. Instead of rearranging the senior squad we should have played Delap.

We had the same problem last season when we lost both central defenders. What did Pep do? He rearranged the squad of experienced players and we ended up with Fernandinho in central defence which was a disaster.

If Jesus or Aguero had played yesterday we'd have scored plenty. We were flooding forward at will yesterday we just really lacked a central striker.

This is obvious. I really don't know why so much is being said about it.

I saw that stat on Sky but I don't accept it. I can think of at least 2 in the second half and 2 in the last 5 mins of the first

Injuries
with either Aguero or Jesus we win
It is that simple but some fans are getting affected by bad results.

The defence was fundamental. We didn't have a reliable partner for Laporte. Hopefully that's fixed.

When the left back and striker get fixed the good times will return.

I saw that stat on Sky but I don't accept it. I can think of at least 2 in the second half and 2 in the last 5 mins of the first
The cross from de bruyne very late on which led to a header on goal came off the defender I think?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.