What's the problem(s)?

Poor transfer policy, especially in respect of forwards. We have relied on Aguero for 9 years as our main man. He has been brilliant no doubt, but we should have brought in his replacement by now along with someone who might do something a little different when needed... Jesus is decent but not the same class, and while to be fair there are very few players who could remotely fill his boots, the lack of options and variation up front has been shown up all last season and now this.

Many posts in this thread should be rewritten now? For they were based on the assumption that Liverpool would continue to be unbeaten and could win the league without any problems whatsoever.

What now? Klopp is past it as well and should reinvent himself?

It kind of does seem that high line might produce some dodgy results for both teams this season, especially if their keeper is out for a run of games. I still think it is between us, but we might finally be getting away from the stupid heights both teams have set over 3 seasons.

Aside from the obvious: no pre-season, injuries, difficulties in replacing Kompany, Silva, Fernandinho ... I‘d say:

- absence of any settled system/setup/line-up, which translates into a lack of cohesion in our play. Gone are the almost mesmeric rhythms of 17/18, and we‘re now overly reliant on individual moments of quality.
- using systems that don‘t suit/weaken/expose us. Lyon was a prime example, Leicester as well. Since moving away from what we did so well for 2 years and instead asking our fullbacks to provide attacking width/threat, we‘ve looked much weaker - both offensively and defensively.
- lack of physicality in the team (pace, power, aggression). Signing Dias and Aké is hopefully a good sign that we‘re looking to rectify this.
- lack of leaders in the squad. Again, hopefully Dias will make a difference in this regard.

And all that said, there‘s still every chance of a successful season. I don‘t think we need a radical overhaul at all. 1 or 2 astute signings would be great, but with the squad we have we‘re capable of competing. Pep needs to give us a chance though. Just pick a system that plays to our strengths and stick with it.

Pep and Txiki aren't guilty that legends get older and need to be replaced.

Kompany, Ferna, Silva and Aguero are PL legends for a reason: it's not easy to replace them. Can't happen for 1-2 months. Especially amidst an injury crisis.

Why would Kevin leave, how many clubs have more talented squads? It's not like we lack quality and won't be able to compete for years to come. Strange comment.

A couple months ago, we were tge best possible squad for messi to join and be surrounded by talent he hasn't experienced since pep's barca side.

Now, with an improved squad, but a loss and a draw later, the squad isn't even good enough for kev to want to play in.

I have a few ideas.

1. A lack of preseason/fitness
2. A inadequate replacement for Arteta
3. A lack of a striker,a hard man type.
4. A lack of leadership/characters/Fight
5. Squad disharmony

Am I wrong or being unfair? Is there another reason?

Whatever....something isn't clicking,and we need to find the answer otherwise top 4 will be a struggle.

I dont see any squad disharmony, but i do agree with the other 4 points,

We also haven't had a injury free season in years

I dont see any squad disharmony, but i do agree with the other 4 points,

We also haven't had a injury free season in years
Nothing remotely conclusive,but there does seem to be a lot more frustration on the pitch.....players snapping at each other,shaking their heads and throwing there arms in the air etc.

The injuries definitely have impeded us,although even with a fully fit squad,in one or two departments,we haven't adequately addressed our weaknesses.

I have a few ideas.

1. A lack of preseason/fitness
2. A inadequate replacement for Arteta
3. A lack of a striker,a hard man type.
4. A lack of leadership/characters/Fight
5. Squad disharmony

Am I wrong or being unfair? Is there another reason?

Whatever....something isn't clicking,and we need to find the answer otherwise top 4 will be a struggle.
I would agree except for point 5, no evidence of that. The loss of Arteta cannot be underestimated imo. He was another voice to pep and as can be seen from the Arse he has some different ideas to pep. I would also add the change from a fern type dm to a passing busquets type has changed the whole dynamic of the team and may need more time or just will not work in England. Pep has to figure out how he can make this work or change his approach

There are many reasons, but my bugbear is wingers. I believe the best way to beat the parked bus is to get to the bye line and cut it back. If your wingers continually cut inside then:
- The full backs will need to go outside.
- Opposing defenders will know what to expect.
FBs going outside not ideal for us because:
- Walker can't cross for toffee
- We don't actually have a fully functioning LB.
- We lose the defensive solidity of inverted FBs.
We should play Raz on the right and, I believe, Torres can play on the left even if it's not his best position. Return to inverted FBs.

There are many reasons, but my bugbear is wingers. I believe the best way to beat the parked bus is to get to the bye line and cut it back. If your wingers continually cut inside then:
- The full backs will need to go outside.
- Opposing defenders will know what to expect.
FBs going outside not ideal for us because:
- Walker can't cross for toffee
- We don't actually have a fully functioning LB.
- We lose the defensive solidity of inverted FBs.
We should play Raz on the right and, I believe, Torres can play on the left even if it's not his best position. Return to inverted FBs.

Good points and reasoning. I would actually like us to have a proper go with Ake, Dias Laporte at the back. Dump the full backs bit harsh on walker. He could maybe rotate with Ake? Wingers and extra man in midfield. It won’t happen but would be a good shake up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.