What's the 'roughest' area in GTR MCR

Re: What's the 'roguhest' area in GTR MCR

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
xgorton said:
I grew up in Gorton in the fifties and sixties when every street looked like Coronation Street.

Most people were skint, but were the salt of the earth types, (with a few exceptions)

Don't recognise the place now, went back last week and got lost, a large percentage has been been knocked down...:)

I think the area around Strangeways, and parts of Cheetham Hill, Heywood, Bacup and Wythenshawe are pretty scary, but, like most things, you can't generalise, plenty of nice people live there too. Of course any Bluemooners who live in those areas are sound, that goes without saying..........

pinocchio.gif
I also grew up there in the early fifties and sixties what part were you from mate also do you remember Tom's chippy and the chapel house pub.

From the memory lane thread:-

Abbey Hey Hotel

Lake Hotel (Belle Vue)

Catlows corner shop, Abbey Hey Lane

Parrys cake shop

Bridges newsagents

Phil Green's hardware...Cross Street

Kofflers Electrical shop

Crawford's Butchers, behind lamp post..(Half a lamb for thirty shillings...:-)
2wqa88m.jpg

Jerina's butchers, Wheelers Records,...(Cross street..later Gorton cross street)

Cowan's cycles

Johnstones Paints

Essoldo Cinema, Belle Vue
11j4w11.jpg

Belle Vue Aces, Peter Craven, Soren Sjosten, Peter Collins.....

Sorry, don't remember Tom's chippy, but probably been in it, if it was on Chapman Street.

I can remember watching all the Bellamy Court flats being built opposite the entrance to Abbey Hey school and Aysgarth Ave,... around 1960,......They have all been demolished now, I notice,...... it's just a grassed area

<a class="postlink" href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/abbeyheylane.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/abbeyheylane.htm</a>

Anyone remember Ivan Manjor on the speedy ?

Also the toy shop on Gorton Cross Street ? Bought my first Chad Valley soccer game there.

I grew up in Gorton in the fifties and sixties when every street looked like Coronation Street.

Most people were skint, but were the salt of the earth types, (with a few exceptions)

Don't recognise the place now, went back last week and got lost, a large percentage has been been knocked down...:)

I think the area around Strangeways, and parts of Cheetham Hill, Heywood, Bacup and Wythenshawe are pretty scary, but, like most things, you can't generalise, plenty of nice people live there too. Of course any Bluemooners who live in those areas are sound, that goes without saying..........

pinocchio.gif

Heywood and Bacup scary? Fucking hell fella lol

Radcliffe....
Aka shitsvill, gimpsvill, nobheadsvill, dogshitsvill.
A truly stinking,shitty, shabby, scummy, horrible rough arse place but oddly enough the residents there seem to walk around with massive chips on their shoulders and think they're a cut above the rest.
Ladies and gentlemen I give you Radcliffe.

work all over greater manchester and have done for 30 years with my job and cant believe people are saying wythenshawe if rough.

in fact of all the estates and poorer areas it one of the best.

Robbo. said:

pinocchio.gif

Heywood and Bacup scary? Fucking hell fella lol

Even the Police dogs have to wear riot gear in Bacup, I should know, I lived there for thirty years.....lol!

wobble.gif

Also, Alderley Edge, Prestbury, Knutsford and Hale Barns have some well dodgy characters...

I've lived all over manc and from personal experience i'd say Longsight

When I first moved in there was a police letter through the door warning women there had been a spate of rapes in the area and in the 12 months I was there I had my door put through 3 times..lucky for the bastards I wasn't in

manimanc said:
Radcliffe....
A truly stinking,shitty, shabby, scummy, horrible rough arse place but oddly enough the residents there seem to walk around with massive chips on their shoulders and think they're a cut above the rest.

You can't be serious. Its a wonderful place.

RadcliffeRick said:
manimanc said:
Radcliffe....

I thought that was in Notts.

Thenumber1blue said:
RadcliffeRick said:
manimanc said:
Radcliffe....

I thought that was in Notts.

No it's a leafy glade that nestles between Bury and Bolton. Imagine a Cotswold village and you have a good idea what Radcliffe is like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.