What's the 'roughest' area in GTR MCR

Re: What's the 'roguhest' area in GTR MCR

I've walked most of Greater MCR visiting pubs, many very basic, but never felt anywhere was that dangerous to be fair. Never stopped in Wythenshawe though.

Nothing to compare to Niteroi in Rio last year though, or that horiffic estate next to Spuds.

I hope the people that post on here complaining about benefits, and other things that help disadvantaged people understand how lucky they are to live in a place where somewhere like clayton or wythenshawe could be considered the "roughest" area in a major city.

pɹɐʇsɐq ǝnlq said:
Benchill is probably in the lead.

Only zees.

Benchill is well 'ard.

Only spent a shot time round there and it was too long.

Yes-siree-bob !

Benchill is wicked !!<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 pm --<br /><br />
unicorn said:
I've walked most of Greater MCR visiting pubs, many very basic, but never felt anywhere was that dangerous to be fair. Never stopped in Wythenshawe though.

Nothing to compare to Niteroi in Rio last year though, or that horiffic estate next to Spuds.

You haven't seen Wythenshawe, you haven't seen jack sh*t !!!

What is Beswick like these days ?

Fucking rough back in the day that place was.
Even the coppers across the road from the kwik save never came out unless it was fast and in a car.

xgorton said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I grew up in Gorton in the fifties and sixties when every street looked like Coronation Street.

Most people were skint, but were the salt of the earth types, (with a few exceptions)

Don't recognise the place now, went back last week and got lost, a large percentage has been been knocked down...:)

I think the area around Strangeways, and parts of Cheetham Hill, Heywood, Bacup and Wythenshawe are pretty scary, but, like most things, you can't generalise, plenty of nice people live there too. Of course any Bluemooners who live in those areas are sound, that goes without saying..........

pinocchio.gif
I also grew up there in the early fifties and sixties what part were you from mate also do you remember Tom's chippy and the chapel house pub.

From the memory lane thread:-

Abbey Hey Hotel

Lake Hotel (Belle Vue)

Catlows corner shop, Abbey Hey Lane

Parrys cake shop

Bridges newsagents

Phil Green's hardware...Cross Street

Kofflers Electrical shop

Crawford's Butchers, behind lamp post..(Half a lamb for thirty shillings...:-)
2wqa88m.jpg

Jerina's butchers, Wheelers Records,...(Cross street..later Gorton cross street)

Cowan's cycles

Johnstones Paints

Essoldo Cinema, Belle Vue
11j4w11.jpg

Belle Vue Aces, Peter Craven, Soren Sjosten, Peter Collins.....

Sorry, don't remember Tom's chippy, but probably been in it, if it was on Chapman Street.

I can remember watching all the Bellamy Court flats being built opposite the entrance to Abbey Hey school and Aysgarth Ave,... around 1960,......They have all been demolished now, I notice,...... it's just a grassed area

<a class="postlink" href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/abbeyheylane.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/abbeyheylane.htm</a>

Bacups nothing, just weird inbreds. Wythenshawe is one rough place, my nan lived there all her life but I hated visiting due to the gangs of tracksuit clad shaven headed teens after bother.

On a side note does anyone remember Gorsey Bank? I believe the police went in and shut the estate down, forcefully removing the remaining tenants who refuse to move. A yellow barrier just covers the entrance to it now - the whole estate was still down there but just a ghost town. That place was fucking rough!

I was stupid enough to rent out a place on Mildred Street, next to The Cliff just off Great Clowes Street in Lower Broughton during the mid 90s. Bugger me, that was rough. Even walking to town, past Mocka Parade, on a Saturday morning, felt like running the gauntlet. I had rocks thrown at me, someone threatening to inject me with a hypodermic needle containing pure heroine and another wifh a knife. All this during the daytime. I only lived in the area for 4 months.

Far worse than the likes of Beswick and Ancoats. I would walk to Droylsden to my dads after a night on the town during the early to mid 90s. No problems at all.

Notable mentions for Longsight, Gorton and, of course, Ordsall. Anyone who hasn't mentioned Ordsall have never had the misfortune of visiting the place.

Robbo. said:
bluemoonmcfc said:
Obviously places like Longsight, Cheetam Hill and Moss Side usually get a mention when thinking of some of Manchester's roughest areas but what areas are the roughest in the surrounding areas.

Having grew up in Rochdale some of the worst areas I seen where Bacup, Darnhill in Heywood, Newbold in Rochdale, Langley in Middleton and an area of Bury I can't remember the name of.

BACUP!! WTF Its as rough as a babys arse!

having lived in Tintown, Warlde (where the next door neighbour got killed when i was in the next house) Kirkholt and Queensway, Bacup is like miles apart.

Bacup pffftss!!

The general concept of a neighbour is that they live in the next house to you...

jus' sayin'.<br /><br />-- Apr 25th, '14, 23:21 --<br /><br />
peoffrey said:
The roguhest area? I don't think you can pinpoint one over all the others.

I grew up in Middleton and had Langley Village to contend with whenever I went to visit my Grandparents. I'd never want to be around there at night on my own. The rest of Midd is alright.

Longsight as a Student was an awful experience. Several of us got attacked and I was racially abused by Asians a few times - yet Rusholme / Victoria Park was fine. No problems.

Moss Side would get my vote. I'll never forget a Kid on a BMX pointing his fingers like a gun and screaming "boom" at me as he cycled off. He can barely of been 12.

The Moss Side/Hulme section is rough, got a fair old seeing to as a 13 year old by much older Black lads down that way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.