When did it change

I think years ago when we were shit I always reluctantly wanted an English team to win and of course England in the World Cup but once we started to get our shit together and the introduction of social media we can see how fans of other clubs see and treat us.
Also think it’s a generational thing with fans born in the late 90s going into the 2000 and beyond getting obsessed with everything they read as gospel.
You’ve only got to nip over to the old shithole or Klanfields forums to see the hate and vitriol that they type.
This alone makes clubs become a siege mentality, explains the victims down the lancs.
Things have changed with our success and with that success come the above hate.
We’ve become everybody’s second team to the most hated bar the dippers.
I don’t know a single fan who would want utd or the scousers to succeed in Europe.
The cult’s homicidal fanbase stopped about 15 different clubs playing in Europe, including City. They are roundly despised nationwide despite the media shite about ‘special European nights’

I got to thinking when did it change for me , I remember in the 80s how I wanted all British clubs to do well in Europe, and now for the life of me …. It’s gone to fcuk them , maybe it’s just the way I’ve seen the jealousy and bile I’ve read since the internet started …

Exactly. I always wanted the British team to beat Johnny foreigners. Northern to beat southern. Lancashire to beat others etc. now most they can all get fucked apart from City.

Always wanted the rags to lose every game they play. Did any blue seriously want them to beat Bayern on "that night in Barcelona"™? Fuck that.
Watched that horror show in a pub in nyc surrounded by gleeful rags, one delighted in asking me who City were playing next. Went straight home and booked a flight to London for the Gillingham play-off final. So it was a joy to sing "You can stick your f***ing treble up your arse" after the match.

I've always wanted anyone to win the league over the cunts from Trafford, so I've never really had a dislike for any other team. Except spurs.

Things changed with fighting Liverpool for the league in 2014, and I now love seeing them lose... but that's about it.

Chelsea, I'm pretty neutral towards and would probably root for them in a final against anyone but us. Got the tiniest of soft spots for Arsenal as well.

I watched every second of the Rags last night. I just love seeing them get beat. Me and my 10yr old son were dancing around the living room when the Turks got the 3rd goal.

Oh and the bouncy castle is still on order, as well as the caterers for the triangle sandwiches followed by blancmange and jelly.

Some will get this, others won't

For me, it started when I noticed a trend between United and Liverpool fans bleating about 'not being supported in Europe' by other English clubs, yet when other English teams competed in European competitions (CL and UEFA Cup) they would mock their failures mercilessly.

A case of "do as I say, not as I do". If they weren't going to support other English clubs, why should rival fans do the same? And yeah, they tried the whole "ABU" bull, but the fact was they couldn't hide their hypocrisy. I noticed other clubs fans' all doing the same to one another soon after that.

Guilty confession but when United won their treble I was on holiday in a bar full of German rags and was willing them on. Thought it was the right thing to do

Then got back for the play off final and was in a bar with rags mercilessly wanting gillingham to win

I learned….
When United won treble in 99 i watched Champions league final with half a dozen red mates and when they won the cup i said "well done" and shook their hands. I've always hated United as a club but back then they were the best team, and being a football fan i cannot deny that. And several of my red mates have said how they enjoy watching us play, but they hate us winning cups they feel they should be winning. Their time will come again, it's how peaks and troughs work.

As others have said, Ferguson & the rags' gloating and the cult of l'pool made the difference. Long ago i remember being glad for u****d in their early European Cup days under Busby, in those days I even used their full name. Also for both Derby and Nottingham Forest under Clough. The most pleasure I felt at a team other than City doing well in Europe was West Ham winning the ECWC against Munich 1860 at Wembley (1965?)

Social media is probably the reason.

I remember wanting Liverpool to beat Alaves in 2001ish and wasn’t too fussed about them winning in 2005.

I never wanted the other lot to win anything, but didn’t want Chelsea to win in 2012.

So somewhere between 2005 and 2012 for me. Probably enhanced when we started qualifying too.
Yes social media and blanket tv coverage. But I always wanted the rags to lose regardless. However, I still root for most english teams, just not the rags, dippers, spurs or arse. I dont mind the rest doing well in Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.