When England play an international

lyonfish said:
For me watching England is up there with doing the washing up at Chritsmas, I don't want to do it, but it has to be done. I think it's an English national trait (and one I'm very proud of) to not be very patriotic, or at least very cynical. I haven't been able to muster mutch enthusiasm for my national team since euro '96 and to be honest I haven't a clue why, it may be my low levels of patriotic ferver, the press hyperbole, the England band/fans or a mixture of all of them.
Part of your post applies to me too, I'm not especially patriotic and Little Englanders do my nut in. My apathy probably goes back to Bobby Robson leaving and Graham Taylor being appointed, things sort of went downhill from then on, especially when the England team had 6 or 7 rags in it. I take an interest in how the City players perform and I'm happy if they do well but that apart I'm fairly indifferent either way whether England win or lose, City are thousands of times more important to me than the national team.

Markt85 said:
Most England fans are bitter and hypocrites , quite happy to see England lose so they can have a good old moan and slag them off, If England win it will just be dismissed 'the other team are crap' 'we were lucky' etc etc

To answer your question .. In a World Cup final they would probably cheer if a rival player scored ... But a few games later slag him and the team off so normal service resumed.

For me personally, I hate spurs with a passion - it wouldn't bother me one bit if England had 11 spurs players on the field , I will fully the support the managers decision and the team.

Very true. I for one wouldn't cheer that a dick scored but rather the team got a goal. It's the same as I did when tevez first returned from his golfing holiday. I was happy about the goal, not who got it.

In general I hate how some people just love to moan about England constantly. Reminds me of obsessed united fans always talking about us.

When I watch any of the Wales/Scotland/England/Ireland and of course I want the home countries to win but I find myself not cheering if they score or not feeling annoyed if they concede as I am not really all that bothered about it. Its like watching a game being a neutral due to not having any feeling for the team playing but being British wanting them to win but not going to lose sleep over it if they dont

Couldn't care less about England winning or losing, my main priorities for international games are that City players don't get injured and that they don't play badly which could damage their confidence for upcoming City games. The reverse is true of United players.

That said, there are players from other clubs that I quite like, for example I was chuffed for Lambert when he scored the other night, seems like a decent bloke and has had to work hard to get to where he is now.

Doesn't matter who they play for.
Always cheer an England goal. Then again I'm English.

adr2.8i said:
And when rival fans meet at international games, is there any trouble at all? you dont seem to hear about it in the papers so im guessing there isnt any trouble these days? You see loads of flags and banners from loads of english clubs and internationals on tv so to me it looks like the majority of fans "unite" at internationals?

I can't comment about these days as i don't attend England games anymore, but when i used to follow England away i experienced rival fans clashing a number of times.

Funnily enough the Rags never used to have a big following for England, strange that eh?

England lost a lot of support when the FA went with a Wembley upgrade instead of a centrally located stadium. I quite enjoyed seeing the team playing at varying stadia, and this would have been the best plan for the future. Instead we now have Wembley full of tourists because there's no way any sensible fan is going to pay what they charge to see players of the calibre of Ricky Lambert and Danny Welbeck ply their trade.

I also can't stand that fucking trumpeter playing "I'm H-A-P-P-Y" 5mins into every game.

I'm reminded of the time I watched the Eng v Greece qualifying game in the company of a former City fanzine editor who occasionally posts on here. As Beckham fired in the last minute equalising free kick the whole pub erupted. Except said fanzine editor who sat there stony-faced and simply said: "Goals by red bastards don't count".

would I fuck cheer if he scored. I would on the other hand laugh my head off if he smashed it miles over the bar. all I hope from england games is that our players come out of it without the media backlash and people slating them. couldn't give a toss if they win lose or draw. chose to support city, made to support england. I'll stick with what I chose. it's just the england football team I can't stand. Rugby, cricket, golfers, speedway, motor racing etc I hope all of them win

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.