When / why did you become a City fan?

December 1970. Lost 2 0 v Arsenal. Guess it taught me being a City fan wouldn't always be a smooth ride. Basically missed the first wave of success with Mercer and Allison. Saw the nearly season that went pear shaped after Rodney Marsh signed. The league Cup defeat v wolves and the Victory v Newcastle. Next success was 1986 Fa youth cup!

Started supporting City 1967, first time to the shrine (Maine Rd) felt like home and the atmosphere electric, hooked ever since. So lucky to have witnessed the Mercer-Alison era, 1st division champs 67-68, FA Cup 69, League Cup then ECWC v Gornik Zabre 1970.

Even luckier these days, it really is like watching Brazil.

Used to tag along with my dad in the George Poyser days for a few games , infant school age without thinking much about it, but by 65/66 really had the bug. Think they beat someone well around October, Middlesbrough I think and something inside me thought hey this is good then started to understand about League tables, city were chasing Huddersfield and Coventry for promotion. Was so excited to see them beat Huddersfield on new year's day then Coventry a month or two later. And Colin Bell joined us for the run in.Loved that season one of my favourites and a blue ever since..
Do remember the consolidation year the following season when city had a must score moment at the Platt Lane end where we were sitting, but the hapless striker flailed at the bouncing ball and shinned it wide of the open goal. This prompted my dad to place his trilby on the platt lane bench and demolish it to a pulp as I sat open mouthed. I have often wondered who the culprit of this miss was, I have an idea it was Jimmy Murray or maybe Ralph Brand but I will probably never know.but won't forget it

October 31st 1959. Lost 2-1 to Spurs. Stood in the North Stand and noticed that the atmosphere was in the Kippax so went in there for the next games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.