When / why did you become a City fan?

1985/86 season , rags were reigning FA Cup winners and all kids followed them , I was curious and my rag supporting uncle took me to the swamp to see them on first game of season which prompted my City supporting old fella to respond and take me to first home game v Leicester, I ended up going to swamp for their first 3 home games and to Maine Road for City's first 3 home games, my decision was made I was a blue then my next game was a 3-0 defeat to rags at Maine Road, never ever regretted my decision even when we got humbled at Edgeley Park in 97

I mithered my Dad to take me and never looked back. Started properly going in 78 when I was 8.

Remember Peter Barnes on the wing versus Bolton and a photo in the paper next day. You could make out mine and my dads faces in the crowd in the background on the Kippax wall. My dad moved house last year and whilst packing he came across that photo.

My Grandad was based down Manchester way in the RAF and picked City as his team to watch when down there. He fell in love, and dragged me into the equation.

Bless him! I’m only 34, so most of my memories are of us being really shit! He’d be delighted to see us now though.

Thanks Grandad!

I began following City in 2000 shortly after their promotion to the PL. The American newspapers began periodically including the PL table in their sports pages in the mid to late 90’s as interest in the PL began growing here. This piqued my interest as well and I decided I needed to pick a club to follow. Knowing that the Rags were dominant, I chose City. That year, my parents visited England and I asked my mother to purchase a City strip for me which she did in London (the sales clerk must have though she was having a stroke). Of course, City were relegated shortly thereafter.

Never had any choice or desire to support anyone else (my family have always been City fans) and I can still remember the smell of fresh print on the match programme from my first ever game sat in the Platt Lane for a 1-1 draw v Chelsea in April 1971.

I was also fortunate enough to be educated at the predominantly Sky Blue biased Marple Ridge High School in the mid 70s.
My form alone had 9/15 blues.
Indeed one of my small claims to fame was being in the same Year as the infamous Maine Road pitch invader, John Tague (Bury 97-98)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.