When / why did you become a City fan?

I became a fan in 1995, and it was all because of Oasis. And when Sven-Göran Eriksson became manager I was obsessed, and haven’t looked back since then. So I guess I’m a glory supporter :)

1993. We were ninth. Went downhill for a bit after that, but it was worth it.

Forced upon me at the age of 6 by my Dad. Wow. That sounds really bad. To be honest, it was really bad at the time of City.

Growing up in Chadderton my Dad ( RIP Harry) was a big Rugby League fan and followed his beloved Oldham RLFC everywhere. He didn’t have much time for football , he called em ‘soft’.
Anyway , thankfully in August 66 a friend of the family took me to my first football game , City v Liverpool at Maine Rd. This 9 year old was hooked and the rest they say is history.
What a journey since then!

Around 1984/85 ish, I would have been 8 or 9, our school had tickets for City and the rags and drew names out to see who went where, I didn't really support anyone although I remember having a West Ham shirt.

First game was vs Chelsea, we lost 2-1, Neil McNab scored a penalty for us. Been a blue ever since that day

All my family were/are rags but my dad's best mate was a blue who guided me to the blue side not sure of the year but early 70's.
First game was at Maine Rd it could have been v Spuds or Bolton as the other team wore white shirts dark blue shorts and white socks but I was frozen to the wooden bench in Platt lane and struggled to watch the game.
I have 2 cracking memory's prior to me going to the games on my own at the age of 13 afforded by my paper round.
My grandparents lived in Wythenshawe across the the Rd from the park and I got to see the king Buzzer et al training a couple of times and
being woken up at stupid o'clock one Saturday morning by my mum shoving a glass of water and a pill in my hand saying get that down ya..(turned out to be a travel sickness pill) getting dressed then force fed some toast and a brew then handed a wooden stool getting kicked out the door where my dad's best mate was waiting with 2 of his mates...getting in the back of a purple Capri and hitting the motorway..the year was 76 they only took me to Wembley for the league cup final...the stool was for me to stand on but never got used as it was mad when we got in the stadium. I got placed on top of the wall at the back of the stand told not to move and some bloke was instructed to keep an eye on me...I can't remember the game at all just the noise the smell of smoke stale beer and beery farts!

My Dads a blue and comes from a family where his Dad and 4 brothers were/are all reds. For as long as i can remember i was told my mam had a picture of Franny Lee at her bedside when i was born, dunno if it was true or if it was a form of indoctrination to steer me down the path of righteousness, "choose City make mummy happy". We were pretty poor but when he could my dad would take my brother and I to the game and we would city on the Platt Lane Benches. Dunno why but the overriding memories are of nightmatches, the smell of hot dogs and a bloke shouting Evening noo-PInk Finaal

From birth and because my Grandad and Dad said so.
I would have been orphaned if i had come home and said i want to support the scum or anyone else.

9th November 2002 for me.

Bearing in mind that I live up in Edinburgh, it's a bit shit supporting a team in Scotland when you haven't been raised to support either side of the Old Firm. Plus, it's wrong, in my opinion to follow either Glasgow club when born in Edinburgh. My Dad took me to watch Hibs, but reality for me was, Scottish Football wasn't enjoyable.

My Dad, bless him, is a Rag fan. This come about my Great Grandad moved to Manchester for work and my Dad would go down with his Mum to visit him on the train. My Great Grandad took him to the swamp and that was it. He never forced the Rags on me as a kid though, but the 90's and Sky Sports in my house were infuriating as they won time and time again.

When the Goat bagged a brace on 9th November 2002 against them in the 3-1 win- I wound my old man up for days. Then I started cheering City when they were on the TV and in the years that followed, came down to watch them via train from Edinburgh Waverley to Manchester Piccadilly. I go at least 5 times a season...

Imagine his absolute fume when the takeover happened in 2008 and the pendulum swung in the blues favour - it's been the stuff of nightmares for him ever since....

march 7 1949.sheffield wednesday reserves.my day took me .on our bikes from chorlton.parked them in somebodys back yard,needless to say i became hooked.he then took me to first team matches.was going on my own from about 1953.watched the newcastle final on a friends telly.because of the token scheme which they had introduced i managed to get ticket for 1956 final.left chorlton 8.o clock friday night on york motors coach.got back sunday morning.seen the good,average,bad and crap.still going with my sons and grandsons.what a ride!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.