When / why did you become a City fan?

1977, Large Irish family, some blues, some reds - I was 7 years old and I liked the kit, If I had known then the misery I would put myself through in the ensuing 30-odd years, I would still have chosen blue. There weren't many of us in Belfast in the 1970s (the only other City fans I knew were my three brothers and maybe 1 other fella in my year in school) I chose to do my postgrad at Manchester Metropolitan University so I could watch City...eventually met a girl from to a small enough town in Co Galway in 2007 where I now live and I was shocked to discover that there were quite a disproportionally large number of City fans here- by all accounts the local football club organised a trip to Maine Road in the early to mid-1970s and quote a few became City fans as a result. Still, surrounded by Utd and Liverpool fans though.
I played football with, and went to a few City games early 90's with an Irish lad...pretty sure he was from Galway!

This save from Joe Corrigan in 1977.

I'm not from Manchester, I'm from the south Midlands where there are no top tier football teams. I was 9 years old and everyone at my primary school had Man Utd, Liverpool or Villa bags. Not sure I can even say this on here - please be kind - I had some interest in Leeds but was already somewhat disillusioned with them when I watched City v Leeds on Match of the Day and Big Joe pulled off this save. I was a budding keeper and I took a keen interest in Joe Corrigan, and by default, Man City. I even copied his superstitions, hence my username.

I thought I'd made a good choice, following City - they'd won the League cup in 1976 and finished runner-up to Liverpool in the First Division in the year I started supporting them. That started my rivalry with Liverpool fans, which continues to this day, as well as the rags, who I was surrounded by.

I then spent the next 30 years believing I was a jinx, as everything went downhill from then on. The '81 Cup Final gutted me. I was the only person in the pub watching the Gillingham game until we equalised, and then I cheered so loudly that almost the entire rest of the pub declared themselves as rags. Nothing changes.

But everything comes to he who waits. I never wavered with who my team was and now I take immense pleasure in telling people I've been a Blue for 45 years and that all our success is just personal karma for me, as my reward for stoically accepting 30 years of people laughing at my choice. They don't laugh now!

Dad (RIP 1986) was a Rag!
Dont think he was too happy with me wanting to be a City fan? but I'm sure he would be happy with how things have gone for both teams??
My first game was 13/10/1975 still dont know why City and NOT the Sh*t? but I now know I made the right choice, there were times in the 80's when I doubted that though!!
ST holder since 1977, both Daughter and Son are both blues (might be something to do with me!!?? ;-)), my Son has a ST, I keep telling him that "he doesnt know how lucky he is" to watch this team, as all he has ever seen is SUCCESS!!!!!
Was your first match the friendly at Edgeley Park? That was my first game too.

Reactions: Sef
Was your first match the friendly at Edgeley Park? That was my first game too.
Correct! ;-)
5-0 to City, Colin Bell took the P**s! and they took him off early!
It was also the first time (Sadly NOT the last!) that I experienced Football Violence, as a Rag got on my bus and Smacked a City fan on the First seat at the top of the Stairs and then ran down and jumped off the bus! (Some things never change!)

Late father Swansea and Spurs but preferred rugby. Mum Mancunian who is Blue but has never been. Grew up in South Wales then Hereford and agreed to go to City v Blackpool in the third tier with a Blue mate from college. Hooked within one game.

Decided to move to England in 2007. At the time, the only footballers I knew and was a fan-boy of were CR39 and Messi.

Came to the UK for Christmas, always dreamt to see a PL game, or team on a stadium. My GodParents wanted to get United tickets, couldn’t get them. So, their kid, managed to get one for me to go see us lose against Spurs in the League Cup 0-2. Met some incredible people, i was dumbfounded by people’s love for the club in defeat. I felt something, the fans were hardened almost familiar, like they’ve seen things in a war. Loved every second of it.

Fully moved to the UK in 2011. But been a fan Since that day in 2011.

I have no regrets. I love everything about this club, the misery, the fans, the glory, the endless pain and joy.

And 2023, the year of the treble, the birth of my first child. I named him Victor. How suitable for Victory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.