When / why did you become a City fan?

1970. Office trip from Manchester to watch the League Cup final against The Baggies. As I lived in Withington at the time and could walk to Main Rd for games after that, I was hooked and ( until recently) I have suffered for decades. Kinnell that's almost 54 years ,- pass me the Worthers Originals!

As a small boy, I showed masochistic tendencies so supporting City was ideal, not to mention a short bus ride away. Suffering now we are good but optimistic of future failure. Real fans should note that it is twenty years since we won the cock up cup. Fellow masochists deserting in droves for the rags.

Last edited:
1977, Large Irish family, some blues, some reds - I was 7 years old and I liked the kit, If I had known then the misery I would put myself through in the ensuing 30-odd years, I would still have chosen blue. There weren't many of us in Belfast in the 1970s (the only other City fans I knew were my three brothers and maybe 1 other fella in my year in school) I chose to do my postgrad at Manchester Metropolitan University so I could watch City...eventually met a girl from to a small enough town in Co Galway in 2007 where I now live and I was shocked to discover that there were quite a disproportionally large number of City fans here- by all accounts the local football club organised a trip to Maine Road in the early to mid-1970s and quote a few became City fans as a result. Still, surrounded by Utd and Liverpool fans though.

2nd March 1996. All my family are scum fans, never went to a game obviously because "its impossible to get tickets" so I luckily never got taken to the swamp. My mums uncle was up from London and wanted to watch a match, City were the only team playing that day and I went along with him. City v Blackburn, we drew 1-1 and I was hooked forever.

1971. I was nine. Watching Football Focus, I saw this team in marvelous blue shirts with what I thought was an apple for a badge swarming forward scoring loads of goals, only to concede a similar amount. I loved their gung-ho nature, and they won me over for life.

First starting following City (always from afar) back in the seventies, just copying who my dad & brother supported, but I lost interest in football around the time I went to uni in the mid-eighties. Only got back into it when I saw a City fan being bullied at the company I was working at in Bredbury (which was infested with rags after they had won their 1st title in 1993) and it wound me up. Started going to Maine Road and the rest is history. I still feel like a glory hunter for not having to properly endure the mid eighties to mid nineties like some of you, but you know, I had plenty of other things to keep me occupied at that age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.