When / why did you become a City fan?

New American fan here and a female - so probably a novelty. I started watching in 2014. I was pregnant and always up at night with insomnia - and they were always replaying the WC games. I got hooked. The 2014-15 season I primarily watched La Liga because of Messi, but found my way to the Premier League because the games were better. The Argentines initially drew me to City - and obviously because City were good they were discussed /shown more on American TV than other teams (now it’s easier to watch all the games here - easier than in the UK I think). It’s also a great sport to watch when you have little kids - because it’s on early in the AM here. I finally got to see City play in person this year and it was really a dream come true. I find football culture and being “born” into a team so fascinating. I enjoy hearing the stories here. We saw City play at Chelsea so didn’t have the opportunity to sit among real/long term fans. I’d really like to have that experience someday.

Football is always growing here in the US. If anyone tells you City is a small club, just come to my town. More Haaland jerseys than anything else. Although, I’ve gotten a fair few to get Rodri jerseys. Certainly none from that other Manchester club!

I grew up in Cheadle Hulme although I was born in Shropshire. The family moved to the Manchester area when I was very young.

My father was a Wolves supporter so I sort of followed him. I did listen to United’s European Cup matches in the radio, and built up some sympathy with them. My father did not approve, he hated United with all his soul.

Then came the Munich crash and all the outpourings from the press. It was, apparently, unacceptable, not to support United under such circumstances.

I avoided making a decision until I was old enough to attend matches alone. My father worked every Saturday, so we never went to a match.

My first match was at Old Trafford to support Wolves. I think United won 3-0. My next match was at City to play Blackpool at Maine Road. City lost 3-0. I went back a week later as City faced the double-winning Spurs side and City won 1-0 with an Alex Harley goal.

I went to the next match against United at Maine Road and City were still fighting it out to avoid relegation. City were leading 1-0 through an Alex Harley goal until United had a dubious penalty awarded and Albert Quixall scored and City were virtually relegated.

I was at a motorcycle race meeting at Oulton Park, the next Saturday, and bought a Pink on the way back finding that City had lost 5-1 at West Ham and were sunk.

2007 I think. I was 15 and visited England (Manchester and London) to see family and holiday. I spent most of my life in USA so football/soccer wasn't big at all. I really wanted to get into it though. My dad was mostly an AC Milan fan.

The family I visited in Manchester were all Man U fans. I'll be honest I really did not like them. In general but for footballing reasons. Out of spite I told them I was a city fan. Still remember when we did the double over Man U in 07-08, it was glorious. Chatting shit to to them over AIM and MSN.

It was so hard to watch games back then. Just check the web for scores the day after.

Honestly never thought City would become what they are but it's been great. I can only imagine how much misery some of the older fellas here have gone through. You guys deserve the good times now for sure.

First game as a kid (aged 9) I was remotely interested in was the '69 Cup Final v Leicester City, in the days when live football on TV was the FAC plus England games pretty much.
I always watched and loved my local team in Derbyshire but always liked watching City on Match Of The Day, obviously we were pretty good then with Bell, Lee, Summerbee etc.
Everything changed for me though the first time I went to Maine Road in 1978 and I've been hooked ever since.
CTID

Dad & Both my Grandads were big blues, one went to his first game at Hyde Road in 1907 & we think his dad was a blue as well so we have been pretty much ever presents since the club was formed so I didnt really have much choice, I dont get to quite so many games now but have made sure my little nephew is a blue so the family connection will continue :-)

1967, watched " ballet on ice" on MOTD with my dad a keen blue. Went to my first match the 1969 FA cup quarter final against Spurs hooked ever since. Maine Rd regular for next thirty odd years, but regretfully seldom get to the Etihad but once a blue always a blue. My greatest dream fullfilled last year when we beat the raggies in FA cup final, nothing will ever top that. CTID

My Dad. The greatest gift he's ever given me. In primary school, all my friends were united fans; I remember coming home one day and speaking the unspeakable. He stuck a blue top on me and that was that.

Suffice to say, the endurance was worth it.

Thank you, Dad.

My uncle (a Rag) and my Mum’s cousin (a Blue) used to go to City/Rag games with each other.
I can remember being taken to Old Toilet for a game but not much remained. Then, in 1978, our Danny took me to Colin Bell’s testimonial game - Manchester vs Merseyside. It was a midweek game, so something about being out late as an 8-yr old at a game was enticing. I remember bits of the game but it was the match under floodlights, sat on the wall in The Kippax, with what felt like a million fans that hooked me.
The rest was history, never went to a Rag game again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.