Where do you rank Hughes amongst City's past coaches?

fbloke said:
This thread ties in nicely with my previous thread

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151553</a>

The stats say that MH is the best manager we have had, end of...........or perhaps not eh!

If Hughes (or anyone for that matter) took over Chelsea instead of Burnley, stats would show that he has a much better winning record, goals per game, points per game.

Would it mean he is a better manager? In my book it wouldn't. Maybe a more successful manager, but thats a totally different thing.

Or to put it another way, Liverpool have more points than Burnley and Stoke, who would you say has been the better manager this season? Benitez, Pulis or Coyle? The stats argument would say Benitez.

Prestwich_Blue said:
bizzbo said:
did you really just say that it took 250m to get that extra 0.1 pt per game over sven?

no, omg, now you say he's got LESS points per game than sven. hells bells, I thought you were on his side!
I forgot when I posted initially that mcfcstats hasn't been updated since Steve Kay died so had to add the extra 4 games. I'm not on anybody's side - I'm just a City fan that wants my team to do well. These are the stats.

If you want a subjective judgement then I'd place Book just behind Mercer & Allison, Allison's first spell in third then Hughes, just based on performances in the top flight. following him then Reid, who got us good results but I didn't like the football played.

Under Hughes, when we've been good I've seen some of the best football for the last thirty years.

I appreciate your retaining a sense of perspective and good humour...

It's so difficult to asses the efforts, not only because the circumstances have often played the major part in determining our status. KK and Sven did so much, then they trashed the place. Reid was a minor hero of mine. They are the only managers I am old enough to have fully formed opinions on. I guess my POV is that they showed what can be done with a bit of vision, even if they didn't have the will to see it through.

What bugs me about Hughes, is not that he's dreadful, or irresponsible, just that I don't see anything beyond the hmm-well-ok-you-didnt-blow-it-completely-and-there-were-some-good-bits-but-some-dreadful-ones-overall-you-have-only-achieved-slightly-more-than-the-minimum-acceptable. On the whole his management style is frequently at odds with my ideals, I'm not enamoured by the style of football, and whilst I'm fully aware this is not evidence of a lack of ability to do the job, there is no outstanding trait or clear success that I can easily use to overlook these things.

Frankly, it's very draining. The inherently controversial nature of the current run only makes things worse. I gave up defending him, and am now probably much too quick to find fault, yet I know he could easily win me round by taking the fight to the top four right to the end of the season.

I need a break from this, but, we all know it's only just beginning.

Thanks for a moment of sanity.

Pigeonho said:
m27 said:
You're worrying me a little with your lack of knowledge. It's 33 years since we last won anything (not 36 as you stated in an earlier post) and we were in the 1981 FA Cup Final (not 1982). No excuse really, I am only one year older than you.

FFS, I got a couple of dates wrong. I think its obvious what point I was making. You're obviously a better blue than me though, so whatever you say I will bow to and adhere to from this point here in.

TRULY historic dates not just a "couple of dates". I'm not claiming to be a bigger or better Blue than you, not my style, but both those dates are ingrained on my brain. It just surprised me, that's all.

Prestwich_Blue said:
bizzbo said:
is it just me who thinks that celebrating a carling cup semi-final as a historic moment is a bit, um, 'small club'

i'm chuffed, don't get me wrong, it's going to be great, but, still......
Sums up the attitude of the die-hard Hughes out brigade perfectly. When we get something we've all been hoping for and demanding, it's "a bit, um. 'small club'."

it's great. I shouldn't knock it. Sorry. In my madness I worry that some people would be happy with this as our major achievement for this year. I confess I was not remotely impressed by the arsenal team, but you can only beat what they put out, and we beat them well.

m27 said:
Pigeonho said:
FFS, I got a couple of dates wrong. I think its obvious what point I was making. You're obviously a better blue than me though, so whatever you say I will bow to and adhere to from this point here in.

TRULY historic dates not just a "couple of dates". I'm not claiming to be a bigger or better Blue than you, not my style, but both those dates are ingrained on my brain. It just surprised me, that's all.

Must be that one year you have on me, it just must be that.

Pigeonho said:
m27 said:

Must be that one year you have on me, it just must be that.

Nah, it's Alzheimers. I can remember years back but can't remember what I had for breakfast ;-)

Beagal said:
FFs there are some right nobs on here harking back to Sven yeah great second half of his reign was relegation form ending in 7-1 defeat. Kevin keegan great start loved the championship season but then bought shite Pearce again started well( 1penalty from europe ) but bought shite. Now people are having a go at Hughes for spending 2000 million and complaining we aint higher then sixth those teams up there have been spending big money for years it doesn't happen overnight. Calling hughes shit when he buys Tevez and Robinho I never thought in my life i would see those sort of players at city nowadays days. Stop fucking whinging get a fucking life and enjoy it.
im sorry but a few things need to be addressed with this comment.
1. we lost 8-1 not 7-1,
2. are you seriously suggesting that A 9th place finish after gaining promotion as shite. I wouldnt call Anelka, Distin Schmeichel or MVF shite either. Some signings were questionable but he transformed us from a 'yo-yo' team to an established premiership side.
3. Pearce had no money but brought in Andy Cole and Vassell who literally kept us up. But he did buy Samaras.
4. Its not a case of questioning his buys its about questioning the team performances which are not up to scratch.
5. If we drop below Birmingham in midweek (which is a real possiblity) saying the teams above us have spend millions over years will not apply.

Joycee Banercheck said:
bizzbo said:
is it just me who thinks that celebrating a carling cup semi-final as a historic moment is a bit, um, 'small club'

i'm chuffed, don't get me wrong, it's going to be great, but, still......
Possibly. What's not to get excited about? We haven't been this far in a competition for as long as I can remember (was only 2 in 1981). Was you pretty happy with a the UEFA quarter final last year?

yes, it was a fabulous occasion, but in the context of rating the managerial achievement, to me, it did not compensate for the 9th place finish, which should have been 6th or 7th.

please understand me, i'm chuffed about the semi's, I too have no memory of one (despite having a year on pidginho), I guess my point is that it doesn't strike me as a particularly outstanding managerial achievement given that we have played our first choice, extremely expensive line-up against reserve teams and lower league opposition...

it's great for everyone, couldn't be better. but it's not the kind of thing that is going to convince me that hughes has great managerial ability.

it's not a mentality. I can understand why Prestwich took the comment badly, but it would most certainly not be the way I felt if we ran the top four very close this year, or won 5 league games in a row. Beyond that, I make my judgements solely on our performance in the games. beat a strong team, +2. draw to a poor team, -1. or something like that. at the moment, I have hughes down on points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.