Where is the single most beautiful place you have been?

Two places mentioned in here - Rio and Cape Town - both stunning but I would not enjoy the risk at both. Have to do by google earth those two.
Rio from a distance is stunning (i.e. looking down from Sugarloaf mountain or Christ the redeemer). Up close though, it’s very grimy and very much a second world city. Even the ‘polished’ bits aren’t that polished.

Glen Etive in the Highlands. Absolutely indescribable beauty.

Kotor in Montenegro is a close second.

Koh Lanta in Thailand after that.

The Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
The Outer Hebrides, particularly the Isle of Harris, is a beautiful place. Bath is probably the most beautiful city in the U.K.

Abroad, I think Sorrento near Naples is also lovely (like most of the Amalfi Coast), and Budapest is probably my favourite city in the world (that mix of Roman, Mongolian, Austrian and Eastern European culture).

I'm glad that, as far as I can tell, no one has yet mentioned Paris. It always gets touted as a beautiful city - people I've met in Canada often ask if I've been there and what it's like, because it has a reputation. I tell them that it's roughly 95% shithole, and there are some absolutely beautiful places in France more worth their time and money (such as Chinon).

The Outer Hebrides, particularly the Isle of Harris, is a beautiful place. Bath is probably the most beautiful city in the U.K.

Abroad, I think Sorrento near Naples is also lovely (like most of the Amalfi Coast), and Budapest is probably my favourite city in the world (that mix of Roman, Mongolian, Austrian and Eastern European culture).

I'm glad that, as far as I can tell, no one has yet mentioned Paris. It always gets touted as a beautiful city - people I've met in Canada often ask if I've been there and what it's like, because it has a reputation. I tell them that it's roughly 95% shithole, and there are some absolutely beautiful places in France more worth their time and money (such as Chinon).

I will never visit Paris again. Dirty dangerous shithole.

Dukinfield,
It's a small red brick Cheshire village nestling in the foothills of the Pennines
A few years ago in Majorca, my wife and I were sitting across the dinner table in the hotel from an elderly couple (about my age now!). They both had a very "refined" way of talking, and when I asked them where they came from, they replied that they lived in a "small village nestling in the foothills of the Pennines" - I kid you not. When I asked where exactly this was, they replied "Dakinfield"!
I my bestest Ashton accent, I told them where we lived, and their faces were a picture. Apparently, they lived on the council estate side of Boyds Walk.
I've often wondered if they were called Bucket.

Chinon and Amboise in the Loire, Strasbourg centre is pretty good, with Colmar really good too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.