Which away grounds are the unfriendliest to visit?

Been to a lot of away grounds in my 30+ years. Never got involved in any trouble but have seen plenty;

Joke - was bad when we both got relegated to Div 3. We were cornered and fenced in with no exit while the Joke idiots threw bricks. Loads of people walking around with head wounds.

WHU - again last match of the season, and we were relegated. All friendly banter inside. Both sets of fans chanting " hate Man_u" there was even fans exchanging scarves. Then we got outside to WW3. Scary.

Wembley- 1981 replay. Saw a City fans stab an innocent Spurs "Scarfer" who was walking with a City friend. That was horrible.

Millwall - the old den has to be the most intimidating ground to visit. We arrived by coach. We were early. The place was deserted but for a handful of stewards. Not even a Millwall dog on the street. We start to disembark. Then out of no where hundreds of Millwall boys casually walk out of the side streets. No chanting. No gesturing. Nothing. They just stood there watching us get off the coach. That's all they had to do. It was like that scene out of "The Wanderers" where the gang just appears from no where on the football field. Then the stewards and some police arrived. They just casually walked off. Believe me that was scary.

West/South Yorkshire Police just after the miner's strike. They just wanted to fight. Remember at Sheffield Utd one year we were locked in after the game and there was a surge forward to the wooden door. The cops had their batons ready and beat the shit out of anyone nearby. They retreated so the City fans kicked the gate in. I lost a shoe trying not to get crushed. My mate and his dad escaped through the hole in the door and nearly got battered by cops. Me and my dad got out a full hour after the game. Never did find my shoe.

Maine Road was a hellhole for visiting supporters.

4024054448_7c1cd131fd_z.jpg
[/quote]

god i miss it

I got in a fight at wigans old stadium at the play off game, never had one before or since at the football, not sure if that was a 'hard' ground or it was just a one off for them with it being a big game.

The scariest grounds I ever went to were The (old) Den and Ninian Park. Horrible, scummy fans. A dishonourable mention for Stoke too, obviously, but I just pity them really, if I lived in Stoke I think I'd be just as bitter towards all those visiting fans who are fortunate enough not to have to live in Stoke.

CITY FOR LIFE said:
In my 36 years of following City a few stand out.
Leeds and Newcastle away 76/77 cup games
Luton away L Cup earlies 80s night match
Everton away FAC 6th rd 81
Millwall and West Ham in the 70s and 80s went with a WHU lad a few times.
Spurs away late 70s
Birmingham away and WBA about 77-78
Utd away 1980
Liverpool away 81 semi in Stanley Park
To name a few, worst ever trouble for me Euro Finals in 1980.

Definitely agree with Euro Finals in 1980. Turin was just a fuckin` nightmare. Didn`t bother with Naples. Thought we were gonna get killed.
Went to most England aways early/mid 80`s. Unbelievable at times.
Everton away 6th rd sticks in my mind. Remember a scouser trying to climb over, on his own, literally frothing at the mouth with anger after we scored. Lucky for him he didn`t succeed I `spose. Liverpool was horrible back then. War all the time in Stanley (knife) Park. Everywhere (bar Watford) was horrible though really. A special mention must go out to `Boro & Ayresome Park though (anyone remember the boards they put up when they started throwing darts over?). Worse than it is now. How the fuck do they live up there? Leeds, W Ham, Millwall & Swansea stand out for me. Too many to mention though really.

MimiVirus said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gKMe0gt-o&feature=related[/youtube]

Anyone here who was there when this happend?

Yes. Kicked off right in front of us.

Never ran from a rag never will

In the 70s it could be a bit tasty with the scum but i was never in a rook with the fukers and came out 2nd best i always found them a bunch of fanny's but WH and leeds that was different but i loved it when we got the fukers back home.
I know its stupid but at the time we had to protect the name of City in this way or you would have got kicked about wherever you went and we had a bit of a crew in those days always gave a good account of ourselves.

Thank god its not like that now (although i would still be up for it with the rags)

youngguv said:
I'd be interested to hear some nightmare stories from you guys!! lets have 'em!

I`ve put a couple on here already. I was living in London in the 80`s. Decided to go to Millwall V Chelsea (`85 ish - think it was a cup game) with some Chelsea fans I knew. Getting there wasn`t too bad. Thought Millwll weren`t turning up `til they stormed (you should have seen it) the turnstiles as we were going in. All through the game - constant mither - just standing there looking at you. There used to be a "no mans land" between them & us fenced off (those big spike things on top). Real intimitating, cold fear. Can still rmember it now 25 yrs later. Hairs are standing up on the back of my neck as I type. After the match ended we were just let out. Proper war, real fuckin` proper war. Saw a Millwall fan with 1 of those abbatoir meat hook things smash it into a Chelsea fans face. Thought I`d seen someone die at the football that night. Fuck me. Real fear factor. Managed to get back to the station with, as I found out later (after I`d stopped shaking),both eyes blacked & a pretty badly cut mouth (remember being really glad that was "all I got) as an old dear calmly walked out and threw a bucket of piss all over us. She walked off shouting something like "how dare you come here you west London scum". Had a fair few hairy moments with City over the years also. Thats for another day though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.