Which away grounds are the unfriendliest to visit?

Not seen nothing major for a few years now. When I first started going away games in the mid to late nineties, thats when I seen trouble on a regular basis.

Cardiff was a nightmare when Nathan Blake knocked us out of the cup.

Millwall (A) on a Tuesday night and getting chased through a scrap yard.

Stoke (A) when we both got relegated into league 2 was mayhem and when we played them at the Victoria ground under Alan Ball. I got smacked for wearing my City shirt

Rags (A) on a few occasions.

Bristol Rovers (A) full of nutters

danburge82 said:
My Dad went home and away a lot as a young man in the mid-late 70's. He always says that Leeds was the worst he ever went to. One time, I think he said 76, he said he got a proper good pasting. He remembers the Leeds fans were all dressed like tramps and spotted him and his mates as they were dressed pretty cool. My Dad had on a Harrington jacket with smart blue pants and them shoes that have a pattern indented into them (can't remember the style name). He got seperated from his mates by a fence leaving the ground and was in the wrong side and got surrounded and battered. He had to stumble his way to hospital and was a bit of a mess.

Leeds fans always looked like some dozy fooker from Satus Quo so we did stand out a bit LOL This Yorkshire 'fashion' lasted until about 1992

mergatroid said:
CITY FOR LIFE said:
In my 36 years of following City a few stand out.
Leeds and Newcastle away 76/77 cup games
Luton away L Cup earlies 80s night match
Everton away FAC 6th rd 81
Millwall and West Ham in the 70s and 80s went with a WHU lad a few times.
Spurs away late 70s
Birmingham away and WBA about 77-78
Utd away 1980
Liverpool away 81 semi in Stanley Park
To name a few, worst ever trouble for me Euro Finals in 1980.

Thanks bud, the dates seem to show that it must have been much worse in the 70's/80's! Was the old Maine Rd a friendly place to visit back then or was it somewhere that away supporters didn't enjoy visiting?
Most didn't like Maine Road because of all the back streets etc, night games would be a nightmare for them.

mergatroid said:
CITY FOR LIFE said:
In my 36 years of following City a few stand out.
Leeds and Newcastle away 76/77 cup games
Luton away L Cup earlies 80s night match
Everton away FAC 6th rd 81
Millwall and West Ham in the 70s and 80s went with a WHU lad a few times.
Spurs away late 70s
Birmingham away and WBA about 77-78
Utd away 1980
Liverpool away 81 semi in Stanley Park
To name a few, worst ever trouble for me Euro Finals in 1980.

Thanks bud, the dates seem to show that it must have been much worse in the 70's/80's! Was the old Maine Rd a friendly place to visit back then or was it somewhere that away supporters didn't enjoy visiting?

That Blue Dippers away in the FA Cup was tasty! I remember both ends getting out together and meeting up and an almighty brawl started, the real issue was working out who was who due to the lack of colours!

There were 5 of us and punches were being traded all over the place, when in the middle of all this was a black cab can you believe and we all piled in and told him drive, to which he responded where to and we said fooking anywhere away from this fooking mess!

The taxi driver was a decent sort and dropped us off a a pub right outside a market (it might have even been called the Market Tavern) and he said we would be alright in there..So we all went in sperately and stood apart having a few scoops and spoke to each other quietly, as there some really handy looking guys in there and the thought 'frying pan into the fire kept coming into my head'!

About an hour or so later we were exchanging looks to each other getting ready to leave when a huge group of boys came past and started looking in through the windows and banging on them shouting Manc Bar stewards! I was really crapping myself now but after a few came i and looked around (good idea to all stand apart now!) and spoke to the locals luckily, they eventually all left - they were all really up for it and would have killed us for sure if they had worked out that we were City!

We had another couple of pints to be sure (like you do!) and then ended up getting a cab back to the ground, where we had left the tranny van (my works van!!) and miracles of all miracles it was still there!

Could have been really nasty, but we were lucky i guess :-)

Mikecini said:
danburge82 said:
My Dad went home and away a lot as a young man in the mid-late 70's. He always says that Leeds was the worst he ever went to. One time, I think he said 76, he said he got a proper good pasting. He remembers the Leeds fans were all dressed like tramps and spotted him and his mates as they were dressed pretty cool. My Dad had on a Harrington jacket with smart blue pants and them shoes that have a pattern indented into them (can't remember the style name). He got seperated from his mates by a fence leaving the ground and was in the wrong side and got surrounded and battered. He had to stumble his way to hospital and was a bit of a mess.

Leeds fans always looked like some dozy fooker from Satus Quo so we did stand out a bit LOL This Yorkshire 'fashion' lasted until about 1992

Very true.....although I'd say they dressed more like Bay City Roller fans, bit like those divvy twats from Stretford!.......

Birmingham City was one of the worst place I ever visited (mid seventies), fuck me they were waiting for us at half time.....A lad I went with had nicked a Brummie scarf (PB from Leve) so we managed to walk through them unscathed back to the coach park....also got a seeing to in The Clock End at Highbury once.

Always glad to get home from Merseyside unscathed too.....

70's/80s ......

Leeds by far the worst for me .... it was the ONLY place i ever got 'accosted'

then Newcastle and Chelsea .....

followed (in no particular order) by Millwall , West Ham , Cardiff , Luton , Birmingham , Wolves , Middlesbrough , Forest , Spurs , Liverpool and Everton ........ all bad places to visit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.