Which game was the turning point

Whatever happened behind the scenes after Villa away.

We were struggling - three draws against Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham and then not just the loss at Villa, but the manner of it. they out fought, out ran us - and no one usually does that.

After that it began to pick up - shaky win at Luton, scary draw v Palace, when it looked as if there had been no improvement - but then 3-1 at Everton away, and 3-2 at Newcastle away all began to build momentum and there was no looking back. I suspect that whatever Pep and his backroom team did in that period led to the title.

Villa away, the 1-0 defeat.

I didn't want to say it too loudly at the time but I had a little feeling it was going to be our last defeat of the season. So many times during Pep's tenure we've had a really bad loss, or a properly rough performance, that's ended up being the huge catalyst for a period dominance afterwards.

In 16/17 it was the 4-0 loss at Everton. We lost just one of the next 39 Premier League games after that day, eventually winning a PL/LC double in the Centurions 2017/18 season.

In 18/19 it was the double-whammy of losing at home to Palace and then away at Leicester around Christmas. We won 18 of the next 19 games in the league and won a domestic treble.

In 20/21 it was the 2-0 defeat at Spurs which left us 13th after nine games. We went on a 28-game unbeaten run in all competitions after that and won the PL/LC double once again, reaching the Champions League final too.

In 21/22 it was the 2-0 home defeat to Palace. We lost just one more game all season after that point (2-3 at home to Spurs, a crazy game) and eventually won the title on 93 points.

In 22/23 it was a combination of losing the derby at Old Trafford, losing at Spurs, then the 115 PL charges being slapped down on us. Pep ripped it up and started again with that 3-2-4-1 formation that won us the treble.

In terms of games we won, it absolutely has to be the second half away at Everton over the Christmas period. 1-0 down at half-time, we needed something BIG and Foden stepped up with that 25-yard daisy cutter. That game and De Bruyne's return a couple of weeks later definitely changed the mood.

Funnily enough, I think the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea. After the disappointment in the CL they could have folded, been out of the FA Cup as well and then who knows what that would have meant to the motivation. But they got straight back on the horse and went on the winning run that took us where we all know. That takes character.

I actually think the Club World Cup games. We were properly rocking at that point, maybe just after the Palace and Villa games? To have a few games to just relax, find our rhythm, build some confidence was so lucky.

Put it this way - if we were playing 2 tough prem games instead of the Japanese and Brazilian teams straight after being battered by Villa, would we have got the momentum to not lose for the rest of the season?

We didn't look back after that point.

I said before KO against Newcastle away win this we win the league.
Oh how my mates laughed.

Now I am known as a big head. ;)

Palace winning at Liverpool. Villa winning at Arsenal. What a weekend it was for City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.