Whisky.

It’s all personal taste but I couldn’t agree more about no ice. I think whiskey should be drank at room temperature and also ice gradually dilutes the whiskey. Many whiskeys don’t even need water, I only add it with anything over 46 vol and of course with cask strengths water is essential.

I’ve got a collection of around 130 bottles, mostly scotch ( Islay my favourite) Irish, Japanese and many over places although NO yank or Canadian stuff. Again it’s all down to personal taste.

If people like to add mixers that’s fine but a tip I learned many years ago was that if a whiskey has got an age statement, say 16 years, then keep it in your mouth doing a gentle ‘mouthwash’ for a minimum of 16 seconds, once your saliva starts working with it the taste can change two or three times. So many people don’t like whiskey because if they are having it neat they suddenly start acting like John fucking Wayne, bung it down their throat and demand another one. Having said that I forgive John as he was drinking that yank shit.
That’s a bloody good collection! My son collects but nowhere near that size. I like a good Speyside, Islay once in a while. I used to be a member of the whisky society but that just got too expensive! It was a bit lovey too, my boys and I went to a tasting that was full of ‘leathery currents with a tobacco finish’ I hate that pretentious stuff, wether it’s wine or whisky. I love visiting the distilliaries especially when we are on the islands of the west coast. The whisky always tastes a bit better when you can think about where it was produced when you drink it. (Christ that was a bit Lovey). You make such a good point about holding a malt in your mouth to savour it. I do usually just add a couple of drops of water but that’s down to personal taste.

I've got fair few bottles in my spirits collection but I base it on how nice the bottle is!

I wish I could drink it but it's disgusting!!

Bring out the pitchfork giff.

It looks a great drink and I really would love to be able to stomach it. My wife's family live in Ireland and I'm pretty much forced to drink it when we visit and it's, unfortunately, not for me. My bottles, and brandy ones which I also can't drink, look great though! ;)

Nope - for me its neat or with ice.........can't be doing with fruit flavoured beers either.............or spirits.........or fucking coffee's that have vanilla or chocolate in them. So probs just me.

I was bought some Welsh whisky for Xmas - Penderyn Myth single malt - not expecting much but its bloody lovely ! I can recommend.
Agree totally.

If you want to try something a little different, try a Japanese whisky. They do some cracking stuff.

For me it has to be straight up, no wet, frozen wet or mixers unless it's a cheap burbon.

Some people just gulp it down, some savour the individual tastes that develop. Depends on what you are drinking in my book.

currently working my way through a Glendronach Allardice (18, sherry cask) and a Glenglassaugh port cask finished not aged, the Glendronach is delicious with a drop of water, but the glenglassaugh isn't all that. Also have a Lagavulin 16 yr old on the go for when I fancy someting a bit heavier and peaty, and just bought a bottle of 15 year old highland park, which I'm told has been discontinued. Haven't breached the defences of that one yet but it's supposed to be good....

Did a few speyside distilleries last year, which was a blast, half cut on Malt at 10-30 in the morning sets you up for a good day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.